Jan 25, 2012

Board & Batten Bathroom


This is a half bath in a beautiful country home.
The homeowners thought this bathroom was too dark
 and wanted to brighten it up a bit.
(no "before" picture...sorry)


They called on me for some help.
So here is what I did to lighten up this small space.

The walls were already painted Wethersfield Moss by Benjamin Moore, which is a really pretty green. There was no trim on the walls so to make this bath look fresh and bright I added the board and batten wainscoting.


Since the baseboards were in good condition we left them alone.
Above the baseboards I stacked the same material as the vertical slats.
Those slats are actually hard board cut into 2 1/2 inch strips
 applied 12 inches apart.
Hard board comes in 4X8 foot sheets and it's cheaper for materials if you don't mind cutting your vertical slats down yourself. I have also purchased lattice in pine that is already smooth and comes in 2 5/8 inches wide for this same purpose.
I double stacked the top molding in the same way.


The reds and khaki greens were brought in to coordinate with the color scheme from the rest of the house.



A simple garden hook was attached to the rustic custom frame I made for the mirror.
An easy hand towel solution.



Fresh white wall vases hang from bronze iron star buttons.
I love using these vases for wall art in a bathroom.
You can find that greenery and the vases at IKEA.


The creamy white cabinet was once a blue color that no longer fit in with the colors of this house.
We spray painted it and now it's perfect for a little storage.





26 comments :

Sally said...

Love it! Those wall vases are the perfect touch!
Sally
loveofhomes.blogspot.com

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

Love the white walls you added. The cabinet looks great now painted white and distressed a bit.

~Shanon

Bliss said...

You nailed it (literally) once again. Fresh, crisp and that makes the dark mirror look awesome. I think I have to head to IKEA, I keep seeing those greens and I like them.

~Bliss~

Leslie's Garden said...

Love those wall vases! What a unique idea.

Kelly said...

That turned out so cute. I love the addition of the board and batten. That gives the room so much charm. I like the country accents in there as well.

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

What a lovely farmhouse bathroom! I love board and batten and you did it so well. The mirror and decor are so pretty too.

Pamela said...

What great space Holly! Thanx for coming to party at my place!

Adriane said...

Ohh I love it! So did you paint on the textured wall or did you put board on the wall as well?

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Absolutely ADORABLE! Love the fresh look of the board and batten! Lovely job!

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Your work is always amazing!

Beth said...

I love it! especially the board and batten. all the details work!

Anne said...

I love your style! I'm your newest follower!!

xox

❀❀❀Ðαωᾔ❀❀❀ said...

I want that bathroom in my home. Lovely and the white sure made it all complete. Great choices!!!

Dottie said...

Love the bathroom especially the board and batten. Beautiful. warm, and inviting!!

Connie @ Sensible-Redesign said...

Just came over from Feathered Nest. Love the bathroom, was wondering how you attached that cabinet to the trim piece behind it and kept the cabinet solid not tippy?

chateau chic said...

So fresh, clean, and crisp! Love it.
Mary Alice

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

This is just lovely! I love the hanging greenery; it adds just the right natural element.

Dixie said...

I think you did a lovely job. Thanks for all the "hints" and how to's...

Brandi said...

Love your bathroom! You did such a beautiful job!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Stunning! I am in love with every single little detail... especially the vases and mirror frame! Swoon...

Shared on FJI Facebook and pinned for SNS 118. :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150602545871141&set=a.192514281140.164586.175378011140&type=1&theater

Donna

Toodie said...

I love how you left the green in there; it's a perfect color, and added the white. Nice and fresh, yet still farmy and homey.

Bridget@Flour N Friends said...

This is so cute!

thistlewoodfarm said...

Wow! What a transformation! This would be a perfect project to link up at our "impossibles" party today! Stop by and link up!

blessings,
karianne

Joanne Baker Cook said...

I have been looking for ideas for my small bathroom and this is it! I love the board and batten in white! I'll post some pics once it's done. Gotta love IKEA!

Anonymous said...

Wondering what you used to make the mirror frame? What type of wood and what kind of stain?

Janet Ramirez said...

Love the white walls you added. The cabinet looks great now painted white and distressed a bit. ~Shanon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...