Raggy Burlap Lamp Shades






I had these brown lamp shades that match our brown sofa.



I covered them in ivory burlap.



It took some time but I am happy with the way they turned out.

If you'd like to make them, here's what you need:


Hot Glue, Burlap Cut into Fat Strips and Skinny Long Strips and Scissors
(size depends on your shade, my fat strips were approx. 1 1/2 inch wide and 8 inches long. The skinny long strips were 1/2 inch wide and 15 inches long - my shades are small)


Here's what I did first:



Hot glue the fat strips of burlap to the shade and leave plenty of fabric at the bottom to fray.



On each seam apply a long skinny strip all around the shade and tie a knot near the bottom.



Underneath should look a little bit like this.

Then, the messy part:



Pull the horizontal strings off.
Once I took off what I wanted, I crinkled the stringy part a bit with my hands and set the shade on the table to get the frayed edges to lay every which way.
Cut the excess off with your scissors.
I like the bottoms all raggy and messy like.



Huge Improvement!




Well, that sure beats buying the ones I liked in a catalog for $20 each (x6).
Plus - these turned out even prettier.

Happy Crafting!

If you want to make an easy wreath to match click the links below for simple instructions.....

Raggy Burlap Wreath
or
Favorite Burlap Wreath

I'm Linking up @ these Parties:

Making the World Cuter Monday (1/23/2012)
Monday - Sumo's Sweet Stuff
Monday - House in Roses
Monday - The Girl Creative

18 comments :

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Those look great! Funny to say that burlap could be "frilly" but they have a very feminine texture about them. Great job!

Jeannie said...

Very nice transformation! Love it!

Maxwellhouseinteriors.Blogspot.Com

Perfect Imperfections by Jeanne said...

I love it! I have a very tall floor lamp I've been thinking about making a burlap shade for. This might be just the right touch! Thanks.

Kelly said...

That's a cute idea. Those shades go perfect with all the other burlap items you have in your home. I wouldn't spend $20 each on those other shades either!

Jen the CraftinCowgirl said...

Looks great! I love burlap, this is added to my idea list, too!

Holly @ Bella Nest said...

I'm so doing this on a large drum shade that desperately needs some tlc! Will be sure to give you the credit! Thanks for sharing!

Kathy said...

Well aren't you the clever on? You did great and saved a bundle. Thanks for sharing. Kathy

Lady of the Woods said...

How creative and great pictures too. I saw a chandelier that looked just like this one without the shades at a thrift store, I have it in mind to pick it up tomorrow. I will entertain your ideas. thanks, Lady

My Crafty Home-Life said...

I love ivory burlap! This looks fantastic. Thanks

Sass - aka - Kathy said...

Love it! Won't you consider sharing with my readers at http://sassafrassalvation.blogspot.com/2012/01/sasss-sunday-salvation-show-7.html ?

Hugs,

Kathy

Tiki said...

These are amazing...great job and thanks for the inspiration! Isn't hot glue and burlap just a mess??
Thanks for sharing!

Mary ~ said...

Wow, love it! How clever!

Love your work - what a beautiful home...such amazing creativity!

Cheers - Mary (SweetLittleBluebird.com)

Bonnie@ The Hopeless Romantic said...

ive been looking for the perfect lamp shades for the sconces that flank my french doors(one of which appears in my header). This just may be them. What a great idea!...........Bonnie

✿ⒹⒺⒺ✿@ A Lapin Life said...

This is such a cute idea! I love it!!!

Dee

Mark Norkaitis said...

Love your blog! Im happy I got a chance to stop and look! Now your newest follower!

Mark @ Room363

Toodie said...

Definitely love these shades! Such interesting texture and look. I'm pinning this for everyone to see and going to attempt these at some point in time. Love them!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

Your shades turned out so pretty, Holly. I love the frayed edges. It gives them a casual, romantic appeal. ;)

Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday. I love seeing your wonderful creations each week.

Blessings,
Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

Betty Johnson said...

I made this and I LOVE it! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=668284399872510&set=a.586916524675965.1073741826.100000728682115&type=1&theater

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...