Mar 29, 2012

My Secret to Glazing Cabinets etc...


I make rustic furniture for my small local business.  For several years I have used this simple recipe for beautifully antiqued looking wood. I have a secret "antiquing/glazing" technique that I am going to share with you.
I find that light color paints are especially hard to "glaze" so I've tried several methods to get the glazed and antiqued look just right.
This is what works best for me.




~~~My secret weapon~~~


Generic Baby Oil!

I recently glazed cream color cabinets for a client of mine.
Here's how:


Once the cabinets are painted I take my hand sander with 120 grit paper.
Carefully sand small areas where the cabinets might naturally wear over time.
Once the desired amount of wood is showing through use a tack cloth to clean the cabinets of dust.



Next - use a very small paint brush to apply ebony or walnut stain to the exposed wood and to the turned part of the cabinet creases (a little goes a long way). Only do one door or drawer at a time - otherwise this method won't work. You must work quickly.


After you apply the stain use baby oil on an old T-shirt and wipe (with pressure) the stained areas until the stain color is all blended. Practice your technique on a low drawer or door first so you can get a feel for how quickly you have to work and how much pressure you'll need to apply to get the stain to "move" around.



Once you have blended the stain your cabinet should look something like this:



Let the stain dry for a day or two before sealing with poly.  Make sure the cabinets are clean and free of oil before applying any sealer.

I have tried using glaze mixed with a small amount of stain and I always come up with a pink or purple hue. This "baby oil technique" is easier and leaves your cabinets the true color you wanted them - with a bit of rustic accent.

I use this technique for furniture and anything wood that I want to look aged or antiqued.
It's been my secret recipe for beautifully antiqued wood pieces...


Now it's yours.


36 comments :

blhitchcock901 said...

Thanks so much for sharing. I've been trying to get ths look for years and just grew tired of the work. I think I'll try this.

Tiaras & Bow Ties - Think Smink said...

Thank you for sharing your special technique with us! I am excited to try this because I do not have the best of luck with aging mostly light colored pieces without them just looking dirty and muddy. I have a feeling that now that the secrets out, my distressing technique will improve!

Peggy~PJH Designs said...

Thanks so much for sharing your technique with us. I will certainly give this a try next time I need to glaze a light colored piece. Visiting from FNF. Have a great weekend. Peggy

The Bold Abode said...

Ooo...thanks for sharing your secret!

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

Thanks for sharing your technique. I am definately gonna give this a try!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Thanks for sharing--your clients cabinets look great!

Christine said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial! I've been thinking of doing this in our kitchen, and now it doesn't seem so intimidating! Thank YOU!!! I'm your newest follower :)

xo-Christine

www.firsthomelovelife.com

Bliss said...

Who knew! My what genius you have that lurks within.

~Bliss~

ImSoVintage said...

Thanks so much for sharing this great tip. I would have never guessed baby oil :)

emanuelle said...

Now your cabinets look great and very vintage!!! I like it :-)

Anne said...

Cool! Thanks for sharing that!!

xox

Revi said...

Awesome tip! Thanks for sharing. I will definitely try this one, Holly. :)
-Revi

TracyMB @ Crows Feet Chic said...

Wow, thanks for sharing this with us! I would love to tackle my crisp white kitchen cabinets... now I MUST! :)

Pamela said...

Thank you for sharing your secret!:)

Because (I think) I Can said...

That is fantastic!! I can't wait to use it on my next project!

Thank you!

Leanne @ Because (I think) I Can

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

Thank you for sharing! I need all the help I can get. This technique looks perfectly worn.
Have a great week!

~Shanon

Anonymous said...

These cabinets look so good! I want to try. My cabinets are melamine-do you think it will work?

Junky Vagabond said...

Never tried the baby oil - good tip! It really turns out a pretty product.

Carolyn said...

Thanks for the tip! Your work is such an inspiration.

Carolyn
{my simple messterpiece}

JulieS13 said...

Hi there! Thank you for the tutorial. Do you leave the ends of the cabinets with just paint or do you add glaze to them also? Thanks for your help!

Dear Emmeline said...

:) Thanks for sharing your tip Holly! They look great! Following now so I can see all that you're up to!

Candy said...

Great tip, and great look. THANKS for sharing.
Candy
PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com

French Hen's Nest said...

Wow great tips! thanks so much for sharing. I am going to use this on a french dresser I just painted white. Please check us out at the French Hen's Nest.

We found you through It's Just Me blog. We are following you now!

CreativaCale said...

Thanks!I love,love Creative bloggers:)))
http:/creativacale.blogspot.com

nana said...

Did you use oil base stain?

Marina PĂ©rez said...

I love DIY. You have a new follower

http://marinainblue.blogspot.com.es/

JLee said...

Hi. Thank you so much for this tip. I always struggle when painting a piece white and then trying to stain where I sanded without changing the "white". I just painted a telephone table for someone on Monday and used white. I wish I had read this first!! Check out my blog I just started to see some of the pieces I have painted.

http://jleebeholdallthingsnew.blogspot.com/

Christia French said...

Can you use this technique with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint?

D Rhodes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
D Rhodes said...

Hi! I've been on your site previously. I have a dark island and was wondering what to use on the dark island. The dark walnut doesn't show up on the espresso island. Thanks!

Yvonne Angus said...

Hi, Holly! Love this look, but am wondering...you said to remove all oils before adding the poly. How do you do this step without removing the work you just did? Thanks for your help!

mugsmommy said...

Hello! LOVE your blog and helpful hints! Can you tell me what color the cabinets where painted before you glazed them? I'm trying to find the right white/off white to paint my cabinets. My walls are Providence Olive.
Thanks so much!!!

Mardi Sale said...

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! I couldn't just accept your technique without trying it myself. It worked beautifully. I'm redoing an older home with over 60 (not complaining, mind you) cabinet doors and drawers in the kitchen and adjoining utility room. I can't justify replacing them because they are solid. The color on the uppers is fine, but it needs character. Now I can paint the lowers a coordinating color, antique them all and when the new appliances, counters and back splash are done, have an awesome kitchen. I've gotten so many wonderful tips online, but I think this one is #1. On the drawer I tried, I didn't even have to sand the existing paint to make the stain adhere. Once the poly top coat was dry, I did some 'destruction testing' and it seems very durable. This has saved me several weeks of labor. Again, thanks so much.

sas grinfo said...

I read your blog. its simply superb. Useful Information about Bakery Equipments Manufacturers. Thanks for sharing

Refrigeration Equipments Manufacturers

William Walker said...

I didn't know that glazing was making the wood look old and real. I thought it was making the wood shine. This was very informative and I might do it for my kitchen cabinets. http://www.aqualiteglass.com.au

Marlene P said...

What a great technique! Thank you so much for sharing this. I used it on my cabinets and they came out fabulous! Previously I would've used oil paint and a thinner and this is so much easier, less toxic and way cheaper! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...