Jun 5, 2012

Great Room Decorating


When we put our house on the market I sold our huge sectional sofa.


I brought this slip covered set down to the family room from our bonus room because it is smaller and I wanted to open up the great room more.
So I placed it this way...


This is a clean and simple display for potential buyers to see the whole great room area but it wasn't working out for our family "living".


I switched the furniture around to face the fireplace and the TV.


Decorating a great room can leave a lot of options open for furniture placement.
Keeping each individual space cozy and separate is important in open floor plans.


If you think of people sitting in each piece of furniture having a conversation together - Is it easy to hear and see others from where you sit? This is a good sort of "rule of thumb" for distance apart and positioning of sofas and chairs. Think "easy conversation" between seating.....


This sofa divides the breakfast nook area and family room.
A small bench could be placed behind the sofa for more seating if you entertain.


A floor mirror and greenery can be enjoyed from the breakfast nook space and the family room while the whole great room should have one main focal point.


Our focal point is the fireplace...the mantel is a beautiful place to display favorite decor.


to see how I made the Shabby Black "B" Art click here

Great rooms leave lots of fun options open for your furniture to be placed.  Try bringing your pieces away from walls and let them be cozy together - positioning larger pieces around your main focal point in the  center of a room will make the space feel larger and actually very comfortable.

Tonight - my boys and I are going to snuggle up and watch a movie.
(it has been so cold we may even need a fire)


16 comments :

A Thrifted Market said...

Beautiful home!! I can't imagine the cold right now, its so hot here in Texas! Enjoy it!

Coastal Cottage Dreams said...

Your room looks great and has a cozy feeling to it....

Susan @ homeroad.net said...

I'm convinced... I'd buy it! I love your floor!!!! That alone would sell me the house!
Susan
Homeroad

Bliss said...

I have two focal walls, that must be my problem, but can't change it.

~Bliss~

Cozy Little House said...

Just found your blog. I love this room! You have quite a knack for great decorating.
Brenda

Gretchen said...

Very nice! I know you have to style a home to sell, but you also have to live in it and I think it looks super this way.

All Things Chic 2 said...

Love the idea of the huge urn in your living space...
Blessings Lori ~

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Love the new furniture placement and love the new display on your mantel!!

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

Looks great and looks like you're having fun.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Your house is beautiful. Watching a movie with a fire sounds delightful!

Inspire Me Heather said...

It does look beautiful - you've really done a great job!!! I liked your pillows and that throw, perfect and that huge mirror is gorgeous! Oh and your mantle is fabulous, just my style girl! I could go on and on...

The Bold Abode said...

Here, too. Chilly. Any bites, yet?

THE FARMHOUSE PORCH said...

Love the new house and the wreath! Can't wait to see what you do with it...
♥Linsey

Anonymous said...

Love you decorating...LOVE your couch....can you tell me where you got it?????? Thanks

Anonymous said...

Can you please tell me where you bought your couch and cozy chair?? Thank you

Bryan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...