New {old} Foyer Table

Our foyer needed a little something to make it more "stylish". I wanted a narrow table along this wall for lamps and holiday decorating.
Our TV is above the mantel (see here) so this ledge will be fun to switch around accessories for the seasons.
~~~~~~~~~
Here's how it all started out:
I found these deck posts in the lumber department for under $8 each. They are perfect for legs.
Cut 2" off the top and 4" off the bottom.
Turn them upside down for decorative leg posts.
I cut the ones for the back side in half lengthwise because my table is going to be very narrow (8" deep).
I used wood glue and my nail gun to put pieces together as I went.
I also use corner brackets to keep the table nice and sturdy.
I design the thing as I go....
With a drill, screws, corner brackets, a table saw, miter saw, nail gun and air compressor - you can make anything!
I grabbed an old window that was missing the glass for the center piece.
~~~~~~
Now to paint it. What do I have on hand?
I mixed some grey left over paint with white wall paint and chalkboard paint. I lightly coated the wood table on most areas but tried to leave a lot of wood showing - I want it really worn looking. The key is to keep your paint sheer.
Then use the scraping method with a Spackle knife to remove any thick painted areas. An easy distressing technique - your paint doesn't even have to be all the way dry.
Scraped paint...I love it!
Once the table paint is dry, get an old sock. I use a rubber glove and then put the old sock over my glove and dip my hand into ebony stain and rub a light coat of stain all over the table - even on the painted areas.
Wipe any excess stain off with an old t-shirt or a dry sock once the table is covered completely in stain.
I am not going to use polyurethane over this because I may want to change the color some time in the future. I won't have to sand too much when I decide to paint it again if I don't use poly. I do prefer the look of a sealed piece in a satin or flat polyurethane, though.
Since this table is heavy, long and narrow it has potential to fall forward in this high traffic area. I used a corner bracket to screw it into a wall stud.
~~~~~~~
I added some hooks for keys.
They don't match...on purpose.
After searching several stores for buffet lamps with skinny enough shades for my table ledge - I ended up buying these at WalMart for $10 each. Perfect size!
I haven't made a piece of furniture in months - that was fun!

To see other tables made by me with simple instructions GO HERE.
to see a cool chippy paint technique go here
Linking with:
Not Just a Housewife - Best Project of 2012
Funky Junk Interiors - SNS #164 Hand Built Furniture
Primitive and Proper
(an all about furniture link up party - fun redos)
From My Front Porch to Yours
Savvy Southern Style
The Brambleberry Cottage
Beyond the Picket Fence
French Country Cottage
Common Ground
Funky Junk Interiors

44 comments :

Sharing Shadymont said...

What a gorgeous piece you created!! I love the old window in the center, and the color is perfect. Great job!!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I love it--that is so unique. Love the window!

Amy Kinser said...

Girl, you are so very talented! Love it.

Gail said...

Oh Holly, that looks GREAT!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

So darn neat!!! I don't think that I would have ever thought this one up...hats off to you for thinking outside of the box.

blessings,
linda

Barefoot in Blue Jeans said...

Unbelievable! I want some of your talent! Love what you did!

Brooke said...

Looks great!

=)

Brooke

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

holly that is so cool! i love that you were able to make it narrow, too- perfection!

Cecilia said...

Holly! That is incredible. Love how you incorporated the window into the table. Looks great!

Katie said...

I just love it. Love,love the posts.
Katie

Honey at 2805 said...

A gorgeous piece, just great for a narrow area! The whole vignette is charming (and down to earth)! ;)

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Holly this is fabulous...I have the perfect spot for one of these!!

❀ JoAnne said...

I really love your table, Holly! It's so creative and so nice that you can make it yourself and make it just the right size for your space.

Bliss said...

Love it, pinned it.

~Bliss~

Deb Hrabik said...

So very creative! I had to pin that. Thanks!
Deb@LakeGirlPaints

Deidre said...

Great job as usual Holly! :) Deidre~

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

You always do an amazing job, Holly. Are you really a carpenter?? ;) I always love to see what you create, you never disappoint. This table came out perfect.

~Shanon

Bella said...

I love how you created this on the fly! It's absolutely perfect. Pinned!

Kelly said...

That is such a unique idea to build that for your foyer! I love the color you used and how distressed it is. Great idea!

Steph said...

Seriously awesome!! I love it! You're so talented & creative!

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

omg ilove it.. how fun it would be to re-decorate all the time.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

That table is certainly a "one of a kind" masterpiece!!...Beautiful table..you did a magnificent job...Looks fantastic in the foyer...

Julie said...

I love it...I love windows or doors repurposed...I just made a photo door and lit it up with rope lights in the back...it lights up our dreary hall. Your key hook idea is brilliant! I may try that on our foyer table! Great job!!!

~ Julie
redheadcandecorate.com

Bernideen said...

Really clever re-purposing here! Would love to have you tomorrow for "Open House".

suzyq said...

OMG - I just love this - it would make a perfect radiator cover as well!
Definitely your newest follower - would love to have you come by for a visit and follow back when you have the time :)
Hugs,
Suzan

Elma said...

Oh you are so talented!!I just love it!!!

sofo17@ said...

Hi there,
I am floored by your work!! LOVE IT and so wish I had your talent.
Here's my question...ANY SLIGHT chance you would consider selling this foyer table??? I have been looking for a foyer table for about 2yrs (not kidding) and I just cant find the look i want...AND THIS IS IT!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!! Please let me know if you would consider it. email is: sofo17@hotmail.com.
Many thanks! You are so talented!!

BEst,
Michele

Debra @ Common Ground said...

wow, this turned out great, I'm super impressed when us gals can handle the power tools, love it! thanks for linking up to Vintage Inspiration!

the cape on the corner said...

saw your feature from a linky party, and i had to come over and tell you how neat and perfect for your space this is. great job!

Debbiedoo's said...

You are so talented it is unbelievable! LOVE this project.

Pamela said...

Holly I love this table. Really why couldn't y'all have relocated to Houston!?;) Thanx for coming to the party. Hope your weekend is a grand one.

Kaelen Karleskind said...

Hey! I love this !!! So unique and we are low on cash =, but so in need of an entry table! Can you send me he measurements of the pieces you used to build it as far as the smaller pieces go? I really want to make your awesome piece! Thanks!

Kimberly T. said...

You are a genius!! And I'm so glad my friend has such good taste and pinned this so I could find it, too. :) This is EXACTLY what I need! I've been looking for a narrow table for my entry way FOREVER and have never been able to find one. I'm so excited for this! Now if I can convince my brother to whip it out for me it'll be even better. :)

Anonymous said...

Love the mirror above

Richard said...

Love the table Holly; and I thought I had funky (weird?) taste in homemade projects!

armywife8376 said...

I love this piece. Can you send me the measurements for the smaller pieces so I can make this?

armywife8376 said...

I love this piece! Can you send me the exact measurements for the smaller pieces so I can make it?

Jessica Sasser said...

I love, love, love this table! I'm not at all handy, but I found someone who could build this for me at a great price. Could you email me the dimensions (how tall, wide & deep) so I can pass on? Email address is jessica.j.sasser913@gmail.com. Thanks!!

Jennifer Hayslip said...

Love this table! Can you send measurements for smaller pieces?

Christina Campbell said...

Hi Holly! I love your table! What an awesome job! You made it look so simple to do. I'm interested in your instructions alos if you don't mind sharing them. My email address is mjcctc@gmail.com.
Thanks! Christina

Unknown said...

This would make an awesome headboard! I love taking objects like the fence posts and making new things out of them! Great project!

Jude F said...

I just found your blog and this post and was SO excited to see the foyer table. Like many people I don't have a "grand foyer." but would like to make a statement the minute the front door is opened. Your table does that. I will be looking to replicate it.
Just sign me, Blown Away in the Pacific Northwest!

Jude F said...

I just found your blog and this post and was SO excited to see the foyer table. Like many people I don't have a "grand foyer." but would like to make a statement the minute the front door is opened. Your table does that. I will be looking to replicate it.
Just sign me, Blown Away in the Pacific Northwest!

alaa nile said...

مستودع تخزين اثاث بالرياض
شركات تنظيف المنازل بجدة
شركة تنظيف خزانات
شركة عزل بالرياض
طبيب تصغير المعدة مص
شركات مكافحة القوارض
عزل خزانات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف مسابح بجدة
اضغط هنا
اضغط هنا
اضغط هنا
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالخرج
شركة تنظيف فلل بمكة
اثاث مستعمل للبيع بالرياض



اضغط هنا
اضغط هنا


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...