Room for Family Time

Our family room is a comfortable, bright space.
I like that it is symmetrical. The fireplace and TV are the focal point so I don't have to choose between the two for placing furniture.
The houses built here in this neighborhood have huge cubby holes for the TV, which is great. The problem is that they were built for the larger version, not the flat screens. Here is how I built ours in.
I had these brown shutters already, the length was perfect I just cut one slat off each side to make them thinner. They were brown but I painted them white and scuffed them up to look old. They are vinyl and so is the hardware but you can't tell that unless you touch them. The T-base supports the TV with room at the bottom for DVD/Cable box, etc. I don't like the cords showing but - there are so many of them. I made some notes on the photo so you could see what each piece is. Everything is just nailed together so if we upgrade the size of the television - it won't be hard to adjust all the moldings.
(This next photo is from my laundry room in CT - you can see the shutters before.)
Since this wall is such a focal point I added a little board and batten trim on either side of the fireplace. It is just paint with trim nailed into the wall. I didn't use glue here, like I normally would, because our house is a rental. Again, easy to change if somebody wants to.
This room is so big (to me). I can fit two full size sofas in here and a chair with plenty of floor space to lay around on. It is square - I love all the options for furniture placement.
The door in the corner came with me from CT. I was hoping to swap a 6 panel out for that one here but I would have to cut my door a little bit for the door knobs and since I will take it with me when I buy my own home - I am leaving it alone - for now. 
This door was in A Vintage Door for My Garden post.
Blankets in a basket and a TV tray - a must have for movie night.
The carpet is neutral, thank goodness, the light fixture/fan is not my style but it cools the room nicely.
One of my new neighbors said "Oh, you switched around your room already." - well YAHHH - it's been a month already! She will learn that my house changes weekly - even daily around Christmas. (ADD)
HERE is what the window looked like a week or so ago.
All of my accents are from my old house - the preserved boxwood sits in a 5 gallon bucket - remember THIS POST? Bucket and Burlap - a how to.
I placed our SHABBY BLACK ART in front of the gas fireplace. 
I am reusing these pots but the original greenery is missing. The movers labeled everything "Christmas Decor" and called it good. I will be so happy at Christmas if I get to find my topiaries and window treatments. That would make my Christmas very merry!
Those are the missing topiaries....
Comfortable, Cool and Bright....

to see our family room in CT GO HERE.
If this is your first time visiting my blog, take my HOME TOUR to see how I used this same decor in our other house.
To see the builder mantel upgrade Click Here

This post is linked to these parties:
I Gotta Create
52 Mantels
At the Picket Fence
Funky Junk Interiors

36 comments :

❀❀❀Ðαωᾔ❀❀❀ said...

Everything is picture perfect. I love everything about it:)

Kathy Radigan said...

I love the soothing color combinations, so pretty! I actually found you through your 8/26 post of the Old Window & Family Photos Display and I see that you used the window a little differntly. Very cool! Holly, my business partner and I launched an online womens lifestyle magazine, called, Bonbon Break (bonbonbreak.com) In fact some of the sites on your blog roll have contributoed us. I can't find any contact info but we love your site and your 8/26 post in particular and would love to featrue it in our September 24 issue. Visit our site, and if it's something that interest you, please email me, kathyradigan@hotmail.com Thanks!

Diane said...

OMGosh, I ♥ all of your old windows Ü Your decorating style is just toooo cute!

"Alone again.... naturally!" said...

I love the look of this room. I have a question: How did you hide all those cords from the TV etc.? Cathy

Teresa @Magazine Your Home said...

Oh my goodness I love what you did to the tv area, that surround is so fun and creative!

Cecilia said...

Looks really nice! Wish I could have your help with my fireplace! :)

Kelly said...

You've made your new home look so pretty. I would never know that you haven't lived there for a long time. I have always loved those little burlap wrapped pots with the black and white numbers on them. It's that touch of industrial that I love. I like your numbered pillows too. Glad that you are enjoying your home and starting to "feel" at home too.

Bella said...

Ohh! I love what you did with TV. Shutters, molding and tin...I'm kinda speechless such a great idea. You made a flat screen visually appealing!! The entire room is gorgeous, what a great place to lounge.

Leslie Harris said...

Hi Holly, I feel like I know you now that I've taken your home tour. I loved it. And I'm so glad you stopped by Gwen Moss and said Hi because it led me back her. I'm a new follower, and I can't wait to try your coffee rub on my latest spray painted urn sitting half finished in my garage.
Leslie (aka Gwen Moss)

Leslie Harris said...

Hi Holly, I feel like I know you now that I've taken your home tour. I loved it. And I'm so glad you stopped by Gwen Moss and said Hi because it led me back her. I'm a new follower, and I can't wait to try your coffee rub on my latest spray painted urn sitting half finished in my garage.
Leslie (aka Gwen Moss)

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

such a cozy and warm space! it looks fabulous!

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

Holly, it all looks so gorgeous! I love all the accents you have done and you know I adore all of your projects. Love all of the old frames and door, too.

~Shanon

Bonnie Hitchcock said...

Oh my! This is to die for! Can't imagine that much space to create in. I would love to have room in my 1000 sq ft home for all the door and windows and shutters. So cottagey but so classic too! Love, love, love!

Kristin @ Simply Klassic Home said...

You make it all look so effortless! It's really beautiful. I absolutely adore that yellow door (and I'm not usually a fan of yellow!).

Audrey said...

Oh. I so love that big window. Looks great with the huge clock. Everything looks so comfortable. Having a big room helps too.
Blessings,
Audrey Z

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Love this room! Everything is perfectly placed and I love it all! I really enjoyed this post. :)

Express and Create said...

What size of board do you use for the board and batten in the family room - love your house now and before!!! I am redoing my house and love your look!!!

Julie

Gail said...

Beautiful Holly! You have made this house your home.

Cynthia said...

This absolutely beautiful. I love everything. The statement peice around the tv is genius. I love all the accessories. really fabulous.

Cynthia

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Everthing in this room is just gorgeous!!
XO
Kristin

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

The room looks wonderful ~ love all the details, especially the yellow door!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I so love your room!!...from the mantel, to the board and batten to the windows...love all the architectural elements you have brought into the room....So beautiful!

Becca said...

There are so many features of your great room that I love ... the lanterns ... the board and batten ... the numbered pillows ... all of the comfy spots to take a seat ... ALL of it! Your mantel is fabulous, too! And, thanks so much for your sweet note about our Fall mantel ... I had no idea I've been featured ... what fun! Thank you for telling me!

The Bold Abode said...

it looks so amazing, Holly. :-)

The Bold Abode said...

it looks so amazing, Holly. :-)

Bliss said...

You smart lady, what an excellent fix for the tv, AND it happens to look fantastic so I'm pinning it.

~Bliss~

Jamie said...

Your new home is looking amazing! What a cool entertainment center you've come up with! I also love the hall table that you made. Love your style as always! ~ Jamie

olerae said...

Holly, did you make your clock? if so can you do a tutorial on it? thanks!!!

designeddecor said...

Very warm and inviting space. I love the neutral color tones with the pops of darker color!

Debbiedoo's said...

My gosh, it looks gorgeous Holly!~ I love how you did the shutters surrounding the TV..that is genius!

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

What a fabulous space! So many great touches ... love how you built in the tv ... and those number pillows grabbed my attention right away. And that fun old door keeping watch over movie night blankets ...

:)

Linda

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Love your family room so spacious and you can tell you love it too!
I see you have a sofa with a slipcover that isn't fitted, where did you purchase it? Just trying to find something to cover a blue denim sofa, it's still in good shape but I'm tired of the blue!
Thanks, Rondell

Christina at I Gotta Create! said...

Love your home! So many great ideas like a magazine. You are a STAR today over at I Gotta Create with a spotlight Friday Feature. Thanks so much for linking up!

<3 Christina
http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2012/09/tv-cubby-hole.html

Karissa said...

Wow! What an amazing room! I hope one day my house can be as amazing as this! Thanks for sharing!

Elma said...

Wow I just how you decorate!! I love the yellow door and the window!!!

Emily Morgenstern said...

This is so gorgeous!! I'm pinning and sharing on FB!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...