Sep 5, 2012

White Flowing Curtains - Easy and Cheap

If you have been following my blog, you know I just moved from our home in Connecticut to a sweet neighborhood in Virginia.
If you have ever moved before, you will know how some things just "disappear" during the moving process.
For me, several things disappeared - or I just can't find them. One important thing gone missing was all of my window treatments. So ~ since the home we are in is a leased house, I don't want to spend a ton of money on rods and curtains. Here is my solution for a quick window treatment ~ on the cheap.
If you live by an IKEA - you can buy inexpensive, long panels for $4.99 per set for gauzy, white window panels. Look for LILL curtain panels at your local IKEA - they are really pretty and flowing.
I do not live near IKEA so I ordered these "scarves" from Amazon.com for $12 and change.
I selected a scarf rather than a panel for the length.
I laid the whole scarf out on the floor and folded it in half length-wise. Then I cut it in half to make 2 -106" window panels.
Separate them and then fold each one width-wise in half again.
At this point you can iron and hem them or if you are lazy like me - leave them as they are. 
~~~~~~~
Make sure your rods are ready for them - here's how:
I use a Monkey Hook, Level, Drill and Phillips Screwdriver along with 1 1/4 inch drywall screws and drywall anchors. I never use the hardware that comes in the packages with the rods because they are always awful. (especially if you buy the cheaper rods from WalMart)
My ceilings are 9 ft. tall so I measure 12 inches above the moldings. I use my Monkey Hook to punch a hole there to check for a wall stud. If I am lucky enough to get a stud, I just screw in my 1 1/4 inch drywall screw for the top hole in the bracket. If not, you will need an anchor, which should just screw in with your drill. Then insert a drywall screw to attach the bracket. (do both sides of the window)
Next, string on the little clips which you can find for around $5-$10 at WalMart or JoAnn Fabric's.
I am using six but they come in sets of 8, usually - I just have a ton of random ones.
Hang your rod up and make sure it looks level.
Now fold the top end of your new panels at about 10 inches from the top and start clipping. Be sure to use the end with the seams and let the folded side show in front. You can iron them to make sure your lines are straight - I didn't (because I am lazy in a hurry that way)
You end up with a cute "valance" type ruffle at the top.
Since these windows have 2" blinds I don't need privacy. I just wanted a little elegance. The length and height of the panels enhance the tall ceilings. It creates an "airy" feeling to the space.
Make sure that your curtains "puddle" on the floor.
(we are not waiting for a flood)

The rods in these photos were already here but if you want to purchase cute rods - try Target, Joann Fabric's or Walmart first. They aren't heavy and once the rods are up, you can't tell if they are from Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware or a bargain store.
 (however, if your budget isn't restricted - RH has amazing chunky rods)

To see another post on window accents see THIS POST
This is also a very good tip-
Just think "High and Wide" when treating your windows.



25 comments :

Stacey said...

Very pretty! I've always loved the look of simple white sheers. They are so pretty and timeless. I've used them in one of the rooms in my new house too.

Stacey said...

I had to come back and ask...did you have professional movers? We did and we ended up with boxes, pictures,and shelves that were not ours. If I hadn't called and bugged them they wouldn't have come to pick up the items. I belt so bad for the people who were missing their things. Might be worth a phone call. Hope you find your goodies.

Bella said...

I LOVE the look of white sheers. Their just so bright & refreshing! And I did that same fold over technique to my drop cloth curtains it added instant ooomph to an otherwise boring looking drape.

Kelly said...

I love simple curtains like that. They add just enough fabric to frame the windows, but not hide the light outside. They look great in your kitchen. Those are the only kind of puddles that are good in a home! Ha!

Judy said...

So pretty. I love the flowing look of the drapes. Great info on how to hang drapes too. I'd love for you to stop by and link up to my Fall into Fall party going on right now.

Barefoot in Blue Jeans said...

Looks great. Just the right touch of softness.

Katie said...

How come I never knew how to put anchors in before? I always just pounded them in with a hammer and sometimes they would split. Love, love the gauzy drapes. I hope you find your box of window treatments.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Love the curtains--they have so much at Ikea--I must have missed these!

Sally said...

I love how it turned out! I need to "fix" my curtains in my dining/great room...they are too short! Thanks for sharing!
Sally

Pamela said...

They look great Holly! Thanx for linking up to THT! Hope your week is going well.

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I love the simplicity. Dreamy.

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

they look beautiful and flowy! i love white curtains!

The Long Awaited Home said...

Great money-saving idea. Wish I read it before I purchased curtains. I did score a great deal at Homegoods after 2 months of searching. I actually found 4 pair of matching curtains in exactly the fabric and color I wanted - for $20 a pair. Your idea is still much more budget friendly, and they look so pretty too.

Gloria

Gloria

Susan @ homeroad.net said...

Yikes! You lost all your window treatments??? That's not good but you certainly made a quick and inexpensive solution to that problem! They look fabulous Holly!
Good luck in your new home.
Susan

Cynthia said...

Very pretty and flowing. I like that are simple and light.

Cynthia

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I love them...just enough to add some great texture and elegance to the windows....funny how things seem to disappear during a move...Hope you eventually find them....Virginia is beautiful...

Gwendolyn Whitfield said...

I Love these flowy curtains! I need some for my sliding glass door and my den!

Anonymous said...

So creative,thanks for sharing. Also wanted to mention Hobby Lobby also has nice rods at great prices (esp with a 40% off coupon). I have them in my LR and DR, look great and are very light-weight

Roxie Tenner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhonda said...

Just found your blog, love it! Going to have fun reading & trying some of your ideas....I am in Virginia, too....

Brooke K. said...

Gorgeous home ! I'm in Virginia as well (Chesterfield area).

Roxie Tenner said...

Those curtains look expensive and one of a kind. Two thumbs up for that! I salute you in doing your best to fix your problem regarding the loss of your curtains. Anyway, you just have a better set curtains. These white curtains totally create a calming effect in this room, since it is soft and light. And, I also like your window glass; it certainly matches with the white curtains.

Waldemar Bureau said...

The white sheers look nice against the green paint on the background. :) The black rod is a perfect choice as well, since it allows the sheer curtains to stand out more. It's truly lovely. :)

Curtain said...

The blog contain good quality curtains content and information. I compare it with other blogs but nothing give better information than this.

Anonymous said...

Hi www.blogger.com owner, are you interested in links exchange? Reply to my email
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpDuo-K4LEs]Unlock Nokia Lumia 810[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtfLsn9fEIY]Unlock LG Nexus 4[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su4oOxa8kgk]Unlock HTC Droid DNA[/url]

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...