Oct 27, 2012

Back In Black

I am a huge fan of black. Even my wedding was black, white and natural khaki - almost 20 years ago.
 My first sofa set was black.

My dishes and sheets were all black and white in the 90's.
So it is no surprise that a few things turned black around my house this week.
I will start here in the foyer with my table and mirror....
Notice how I hid the electrical outlet and lamp cords?
I can peak through that old window and see a large metal wall art piece-
not lamp cords.
Here you can see the front door handle set, garage door knob and the back door.
All, of which, got a black coat of paint.
Here's how:
I also spray on a final coat of acrylic clear spray to seal the paint.
And when I close the front door....
So much more updated and a lot more dramatic.
The front screen door is so useful.
I love having it for my kids who don't close doors....
even though it doesn't add a lot of character.
See the brass toe kick and handle?
Much better!
It looks great from the road, too. We have black shutters on the house to match. I gave the white trim around the door and side lights a nice fresh coat of bright white paint which makes a clean contrast with the new black door.
It looks so fresh.
When a dark, rich color is added to a room - the lighter colors and accents stand out that much brighter.

Linking with:

18 comments :

Kelly said...

That turned out amazing! Wonderful idea to use spray paint like that. I might try that with the handle on my front door which is brass. It needs to be updated.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME/Doublewide Decor said...

You would love my place....I have a lot of black, mixed with a caramel and cream....I love black...so rich! You did a great job!

Coastal Cottage Dreams said...

I like how you painted your brass over in black, it looks great with the red door.

Katie said...

It looks great. I love black too.

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Great changes and great impact. I love using black in every room too. My favourite black piece is the china cabinet in our dining room. Oh, and the mitten and hat storage cupboard in the front entry. We also have the inside of our front door painted black and I am so glad I did it.

Anonymous said...

Looks amazing! I love your blog! Did you spray your doors and what sheen of paint did you use? I'm so inspired to tackle mine!

Sally LoveOfHomes said...

I love the interior door painted black...your house looks beautiful!
Sally

Brooke said...

Every thing is looking great! How do you think of all these good ideas! Your so crafty!


;-)


Brooke

Cynthia said...

I love the mirror and the table. It looks so elegant. Love the chalkboard too.

Cynthia

Beth said...

I love black too! Thank you for sharing how to paint the door handle, I can't wait to do this. I LOVE your blog, your style, everything! I have been following for awhile - thank you for sharing!

ImSoVintage said...

It all looks great :)

Gwen @ The Bold Abode said...

Oh, that black door is fantastic! I agree with on the black... it really makes a statement.

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Black always lends a touch of sophistication that I love to see in a home. It's amazing how one small color change can make such an impact. I love the changes you made!

Gail said...

I LOVE black too Holly! I love the changes you have made!! Stay safe as this monster of a storm makes it's way. Hugs, Gail

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

I love it Holly!

Anonymous said...

I love your sense of style. Such a gorgeous home. I love old things and seeing them put to use is wonderful.

Robin said...

I love the black!! The view of the inside of your front door has inspired me to finally paint the inside of my front door black, too!

Bella said...

Oh those black interior/exterior doors are quite spectacular! You done good girl.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...