Nov 10, 2012

Shabby Twinkle Garland

I made a cute garland that can go on my fireplace mantel or a Christmas tree.



All I used was a white cord twinkle light set and muslin fabric.
Let me show you how....
I used muslin fabric. 1 yard to 10 ft of twinkle lights.
The fabric comes folded in half. Keep it that way and snip with scissors at 1" to 1 1/2".
Rip at the snip into strips. Then cut each strip into 4th's.
Each piece will be about 6 inches.
Fold the 6 inch strips in half - making a U shape. Wrap the U around the light strand.
Fold the cut ends into the U center around the cord - making a knot.
Tighten the knot of fabric around the light cord.
Keep them all snug together all the way down the stretch of lights.
Twist the "tails" of the knots around so they are every which way.
So versatile and pretty. I can use this all year around.
I can use this on my mantel for the holidays....
or on the little Christmas trees.
For the mantel I used little hooks to anchor the strand of garland and hung a little tree charm on each end.
(the tree charms are from Kirkland's for $3.99 each)
The window in front of my fireplace was my headboard at my other house.
I don't have a basement to store it so one day it ended up here....
I was going to make this garland with ivory burlap but I remembered how messy that was to work with on my  Favorite Burlap Wreaths. Muslin was easier and faster.
When I get my Christmas tree up - I am going to display my homemade garland there.
Or...keep it here.

You can view Homemade Winter Garland Here.
If you are looking for more holiday inspiration Go Here.

Linking this post to these parties:
Common Ground - Vintage Inspiration Friday #114
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Friday
Funky Junk Interiors - SNS #161
Keeping It Simple - Motivate Me Monday #148
Cozy Little House - Tweak It Tuesday #15
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia - Tuesday's Treasures #111

27 comments :

Shabby chic Sandy said...

What a fantastic idea! I have this thing about cords--I can't stand to see a cord. This is perfect!

Pattie @ On Hollyhock Farm said...

I am sooo doing this! Great idea! Thanks for sharing! 8^)

Susan @ homeroad.net said...

I love this Holly! and I'm doing it! Thanks for the inspiration as usual! I loved the christmas house tour as well!
Susan

Dawn said...

Holly,
What a cute idea:) You are so far ahead of me, I didn't even decorate for Halloween and you already on to Christmas. Love it!!

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Love this! So simple and pretty. You're a genius!!

Jane said...

What a cute idea! Looks like a million bucks!!!

Debbiedoo's said...

Very cute and clever idea. It looks super on your mantel.

Anna Hanley said...

Good Morning, What a cool idea! So pretty on your mantel! Enjoy your week-end, Anna

Cecilia Bramhall said...

cute...think I might have to do this for my farmhouse tree!

Lynn said...

I love it....

chateau chic said...

Oh, this is such a great idea. I love your garland. Looks so pretty around the fireplace as well as the evergreens!
Mary Alice

Ms. Redo said...

Love this look, fabulous on the mantel! I'm kinda loving it also because it could carry one through the (dark) winter, which always cries for some sort of light - perfect. Yes, I believe I've just talked myself into making one!!! Thanks for the tutorial ... Mary

Cynthia said...

What a great idea and thanks for the turorial. I love way it looks on your mantel.

Cynthia

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Such a cute idea, Holly. You get the twinkle of lights with the softness of fabric.

Gail said...

Another cute idea! You're coming up with some good ones!! Hope you're having a wonderful day, Gail

ImSoVintage said...

Oh boy. I am so copying this. Simple, inexpensive, and beautiful. Perfect. :)

The Bold Abode said...

So versatile! I love it, Holly! Make a ton more and you can put it all over the place and make everything twinkle!!!

Amy Kinser said...

Holly, I LOVE THIS IDEA! It looks wonderful! You are so very creative, my friend.

Leslie Harris said...

I want to use this on my mantel. I love this idea, especially the ability to change the look with different materials.
Thanks Holly.
Leslie (aka Gwen Moss)

Terry and Danella said...

YOU, my friend, as usual... have come up with yet another FUN idea! I love your stuff...AND your blog. I love how SIMPLE and inexpensive your ideas are...makes them attainable! Thank you!! danella

Cristina Garay said...

I love it! It looks great on your mantel and it would look wonderful on your Christmas tree!

Olive said...

Terrific idea and beautiful on the mantel.

Laurel@chippingwithcharm said...

Looks great...think I may need to make some of these for our booth :) Thanks, Laurel

Chenille Cottage said...

Oh...How beautiful! I love the creamy muslin. Years ago I made a similar garland using red and green plaid 100% cotton homespun. I haven't pulled it out in a few years and seeing yours reminds me to display it once again.
Thank you for your gorgeous post!
Blessings,
Carolynn

TheMoonAndMe said...

so pretty! I thought it was tulle in the thumbnail. I really like the muslin. I'm trying to get more creaminess into my Christmas stuff...might have to include this.
thanks!
Kelly

srpprcrftr said...

Hi Holly I used your idea but since I didn't have enuf muslin I decided to use some silver and copper lame fabric have had for years. Had just one yard of each so tore 1 1/2" wide strips then measured 6" strips and cut them using my pinking shears since that fabric ravels like crazy. Had a 50 light white light string so tied on a few strips alternating colors. It turned out so pretty and sparkling with the silver and copper fabric. I love it and was worth tearing strips then cutting smaller ones using the pinking shears. Just tied them on the light string and had a pretty garland for our partial wall between the kitchen and living room. Don't think anybody else will have one like it and it really perks up the decorations and l/r.
So glad I found your blog and this project. I made do with what I had and love how it turned out. Don't think I've spent $5 this year for decos, using all things we had to remake some things and it's been so much more relaxed than usual. Aaahhh, it's been alot more fun.

Dana said...

Holly. I don't have the readership you do and never will, but I blogged today about my version of this garland and gave you all the credit :) I linked back to your blog as well. Again, thanks for the inspiration.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...