Trash to Kitchen Island

I was given this little piece of junk several months ago.


An all wood cabinet with a butcher block top.
It literally fell apart while putting it into my car.
I made it sturdy with corner brackets on the inside in 6 different places.
The back was just a flat panel so I glued and screwed on three 1x6's.
I brushed the body in white wall paint and
rubbed in ebony stain to the butcher block top.
The four feet are fence post tops I purchased at Home Depot for under $4 each.
Pilot hole first then screw them in.
Sanded the "heck" out of it to make it all rustic like.
Added a bottle opener.
Placed it in my U shaped kitchen.
The 1x6 pine slats look like paneling and distress nicely.
The front doors are rather plain but it holds all my canned goods.
The knobs are left over from my previous kitchen.
Wouldn't this distressed white look be cool on all the cabinets in my dark kitchen?
Well, since I'm renting and dreaming up a whole new plan for my next place -
this will be the only white cabinet here.
.
 I show you how to make a standard builder island awesome Here.
If you like building your own furniture - read here for simple instructions.
Linking to:
Funky Junk Interiors - SNS #162 Refabbed Furniture

24 comments :

Jane said...

Wow! That turned out great!!! What a dramatic transformation and gotta love the extra work surface and storage space.

suzyq said...

Well I have to say what Jane said first WOW - unbelievable!!!
Great job
Hugs,
Suzan

Gail said...

OMGoodness Holly! That looks amazing!! You are my kind of trash to treasure girl!! Have a great weekend, Gail

Susan @ homeroad.net said...

I love it Holly... great save! The white bottom and black top are perfect!
Susan

Debbiedoo's said...

You certainly would never know that is the same piece. Great job!

sweetvintageofmine said...

AWESOME! Fabulous Re-do..you have style girl! Roxie

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Very cool! Now that really is a trash to treasure project!

Kelly said...

That cabinet reminds me of the rustic island you had in your last house. I can see your "signature" look being brought into this home already. I love what you did with that cabinet! I can't believe it's the same piece. I'm sure you will enjoy using that.

Cecilia said...

Holly,
Once again, you have proved nothing is beyond your skills! What a fantastic rescue. It looks great! I wish you were my neighbor - I'd love to come over and just watch you work your magic. Wow.

Lynn said...

It looks great. This project is sort of like bathroom cabinet my husband bought. It was new but one of those pull it out of the box and screw it together things. I thought it was so ugly. When he was off working I painted it with about three different layers and roughed it up so all the colors showed through. Then is looked more like something you might pull out of the weeds but I've had alot of compliments on it. Thanks for sharing your project.

Sandra@Beneath this Roof, Within these Walls said...

That is one incredible transformation! Now I am thinking I need to paint my trashcan bin/island that I madeover from a cabinet recently. I was happy with it until I saw yours!!!
That looks really great, kudos!

Wild Oak Designs said...

You are so handy! What a great idea and you make it look so easy. Thanks for the great tips.
Nancy
http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

fairykin said...

Yahoo to you.
this is more than awesome!
http://crystalscreations-stillwatersgallery.blogspot.com

livingsimplyfree said...

I love how that came out, I'm going to save this for inspiration for one of my trash finds! Yes, your entire kitchen would look lovely in distressed white. I completely get the renting problem, I too would love to update my laminate cabinets (all two of them) but am not allowed to change them either.

Ido said...

What an incredible project, it turned our beautiful and practical.
Have a wonderful weekend
XXXX
Ido

Katarina said...

It turned out great! Love it!

Cynthia said...

Fantastic job, I love it!!

Cynthia

Bliss said...

That's a pretty good trash to treasure there.

Bliss

Blondie's Journal said...

This is an incredible transformation, Holly! I love it!

XO,
Jane

Dawn said...

I really like it and the bottle opener makes the whole piece feel rustic.

Lynn Fern said...

I love this piece. It would so fit in my style of house or on my deck with that bottle opener :) Nice job!

ImSoVintage said...

What an amazing transformation. I think this would look great on your cabinets. :)

Bella said...

Now that's what I call a fab rehab! It's almost hard to believe it's the same piece. You rock!

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Love it ~ and the bottle opener is a great touch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...