Frame in that TV

Who gets excited for a mantel makeover?
ME!!!
Our fireplace has a huge cubby for the TV above. It looked like this when I built in the TV the first time around - only 15 weeks ago.


SOMEBODY at our house went a little crazy on Cyber Monday....
and it wasn't me. (Isn't my hubby just cute!)
We've had electronics boxes arriving all week. Not all that exciting to me (although, I have a pretty good idea about what Santa will bring me). But when the TV arrived - it seemed very huge and I got really excited. Not because I watch a lot of TV but - this meant I would get to take down what I just put up around the old television. So for the few days we all had to walk around the monster TV box - I came up with a whole different look for our TV space.
Here is what I started with.
This cubby was made to hold the "1000 lb" old fashion units.
I bought 1x8 pine. I'm not going to miter cut the corners because my saw blade is only 6 inches and it never works out great when I try.
So all the more simple this project will be. 4 straight pieces of pine.
I am planning to stain the wood but I want to get it up soon so here is a short cut tip so you don't have to do any edging with stain. Spray the edges in flat black spray paint before applying - it dries in 10 minutes. Much faster than stain.
Apply the top and bottom first making sure they are level.
Above the top 1x8 there was almost 4 inches of the white molding showing so I nailed in a 1x4 with my favorite tool - my nail gun.
I don't even know what to call these but they are a little wooden accent found in the section for railings at the big home stores.
I put one on each top end.
Brush on stain and be sure to wipe the excess.
I would paint the inside of the cubby whole black if this were my house but we are renting. I like the dark wood in this light room.
I am going to decorate this lovely new mantel/framed TV tomorrow.
View that post here.
I am making a new kind of winter garland for it right now! :)


Sharing this project with the following link parties...

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

21 comments :

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

You are just sooo talented!! Love what you have done yet again. (I loved the before one, too ;) )

~Shanon

Nicole@Thrifty Decorating said...

Thanks so much for your comments....how ironic that you would click on my blog when I was talking about your garland! :)

I'm just loving your blog. I've been getting it via email and enjoying your posts! :)

chateau chic said...

Holly, this is FABULOUS! I have another friend like you whose mind works overtime with ideas. Can't wait to see your garland.
Mary Alice

Rooms by Ann said...

This is a really great idea. I feel we should all put a frame around our tv's that are hanging on the wall. Have agreat week.

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

You are very talented, Holly. I like the dark stain too.

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

Hats off to you Holly... I have yet to use anything power tool bigger than a palm sander. You did a wonderful job!!
Cheers, Gee

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I love the dark rich stain, it really sets off the frame beautifully! New follower here. Looking forward to browsing around!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I have always wanted to frame my TV--you are inspiring!

Susan @ homeroad.net said...

Holly that came out so good! You can make anything out of anything and it is fantastic! I am loving your new pinecone header too!
Susan

Sandra@Beneath this Roof, Within these Walls said...

Holly, that is beautiful. I loved the old one, too. So often a TV is such an eyesore, you came up with a great solution.

Cynthia said...

This is fantastic!! I love it.

Cynthia

Pendra said...

Can't wait to see your mantel decor after seeing you actually build it! I inherited my Dad's saw...with no idea how to use it, but BIG dreams. Am definitely pinning your site to my BIG dreams!

Aida said...

now following this fantastic blog of yours as well! Thanks a lot for your feedback sweetie!

http://cottoncandy-peaches.blogspot.pt/

Gail said...

You've done it again Holly! That looks amazing!! Can't wait to see it all decorated for Christmas. Enjoy your day, Gail

Damien said...

Hi,

I am currently looking for advertising partnerships on sites like yours downtoearthstyle.blogspot.com. I believe you will be interested in the offer we have as we have many happy publishers and it is a great way to earn recurring income for your site.

Please email me back expressing your interest in this offer and I will send you through further emails.

I look forward to hearing back from you soon,

Terry and Danella said...

Hi HOlly! You know what I LOVE about you??? I can tell my hubs... 'look at what 'Holly did'! ... and he can't say it's just me that's crazy! I love everything you do, and you help inspire me so much. There are not many 'do it yourselfers' here in this town we live in, and YOU, my friend, are my ... oh geez... friend, that I love to 'talk'... no check out... 'so what did you do today??? ha Thanks for sharing... danella

Bliss said...

Awesome, pinned to remind me to do it.

Bliss

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

That looks awesome!!!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Oh I love this!! So very cool! My hubby is a electronic guy too :) Thanks for linking up
XO
Kristin

Carla Stewart said...

What you have done to the frame is just great, I also love the color, it mixes well with paint in the wall. I love it!

tv frames

art tv said...

That was so cool! You have an original design that has an awesome look! Such a fantastic.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...