Dec 4, 2012

Homemade Winter Garland

 I have been decorating my fireplace mantel.
I will show you the whole post on that here but today's feature is the winter garland.


Here's what you need...
Twig Roping
(from Joann's $9.99 - use a coupon - it's never on sale)
50 ct. string white lights (Target for $2.50)
Cottonballs (Target - .99 cents)
Pine cone picks (Target in the Christmas section - $6.00)
White berries ($2.99 at Joann's - I got 2 of  them at 50% off)
So it was over $16 to make....
I guess that wasn't all that cheap but - it's homemade.
(key is to bargain shop after Christmas and snag these items for a fraction of the cost and make them next year - ask for gift cards - January is the funnest shopping month of the year)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's how:
First find the center light and center of the twiggy rope
by folding each in half. 
That is your starting point.
Wrap the wire from the pine cones around them to hold them together.
Peel off strands of white berries (each one should give you about 4 separate bunches).
They wire on, also - randomly placed.
I used a hot glue gun and applied it to the twiggy rope - before it dries stick a little bunch of cotton balls to it.
Glue - cotton balls - glue - cotton balls. 
The cotton balls were meant to look like snow .
I will show you the whole mantel here....
My inspiration came from a local nursery.
They used batting for snow so there was much more white and actual real twigs.

16 comments :

Mary Palumbo Collings said...

That looks really great... I love it!
Ciao for now...

BaileyWife said...

Beautiful! I just did my mantel too....:) ~Kim

Miss Char said...

Love this look, thanks for the tutorial.

Kelly said...

Love it! That is such a great idea. I love the use of cotton balls in Christmas decor. It's country and does mimim snow. I like the contrast of it with the pinecones.

Something Nice and Pretty said...

I love it, the cotton balls really do look like snow!

Bonnie Hitchcock said...

LOVE BUTTON, PLEASE! Great idea and looks like a rutic Christmas at your house.

chateau chic said...

Another great idea. Love it, and I know it looks great around your mantel and tv.
Mary Alice

Amy Kinser said...

Love your garland. It has a great rustic winter feel. You always share such great tips, Holly. Thanks..

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

This is so pretty, Holly! Thanks for telling us all your sources!

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

Very pretty Holly!!! Luv it.
Cheers, Gee

Rachelle Falcon said...

This is very cute and unique. I love the cotton balls! So cute!

Dawn said...

Thanks for linking up to the party at the Cabin. What a splendid idea to use the cotton. Very creative and it looks fab in your space:)

Carol said...

Really cute and very clever.

SweetPepperRose said...

So original! love the use of the cotton.

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

so pretty and such a great idea to use cotton balls!

Karah @ thespacebetweenblog said...

i am in love with all of the natural elements!! so, so pretty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...