December 5, 2012

Winter Mantel 2012

2012 mantel.....
 How do you make a mantel with the TV as the focal point beautiful?
(sigh) I made an attempt to do so while keeping it simple
but sparkly for Christmas.




(I don't like to show off electronics - but this set up is  functional)
You can see how I framed in the TV here.
I usually love a natural theme and this may look a little that way, however, the paper whites are fake. Come to think of it...All the greenery is fake.  So it's NOT natural, as much as I'd like it to be.
Along the mantel ledge are white twinkle lights, faux snow, a frame covered in moss with a dangly pine cone, faux paper whites, candles, lantern and a barn star. On either end hangs a frosty looking wreath.
(I still need to find our stockings)
Below is a large window that needed a place to safely rest.
Our fireplace isn't working so I placed candles on the window
for a fire flickering sort of ambiance.
Each candle is attached with a hose clamp and a little nail to the wood frame (see how here). They dangle from craft wire. It just worked out that I could place them in the shape of a tree.
The faux trees are from Hobby Lobby. I placed them on top of paint cans and wrapped the bases in a twiggy table runner.
(I cut the runner for this project and now it is falling apart).
If you look close you can see the paint can. I flocked the tree with a light coat of white spray paint - yes, spray paint. Then dropped some "real" faux snow over that. :) This part of the room had plenty of twinkle lights so a little silver bead garland gave the small trees enough shine.
In the corner opposite the big Christmas tree is our pretty bird cage filled with greenery and twinkle lights. The rest of the table runner sits below - looking a lot like kindling. The old fashion Santa is a family decoration that I just inherited from my grandmother. He's really cute.
I made the "snowy" winter garland. You can see how HERE.

I hope you enjoyed seeing our 2012 winter mantel. 
DIY Show Off DIY Holiday Highlights

28 comments :

Blondie's Journal said...

You did a great job with your mantel, Holly...it's very pretty! I love the lanterns, the little trees on each side of the hearth and the candles inside (I've always wanted to do that in the summer!). I see a peek of your tree, it's beautiful! :)

XO,
Jane

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

so pretty! i love the two trees flanking the fireplace!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

The room looks so cozy and beautiful!! I love what you've done with the mantel!

chateau chic said...

Holly, you did a wonderful job of distracting from the tv with your wonderful decorations. Makes your room look so festive and inviting.
Mary Alice

Heather Carson said...

makes me want to cuddle up with some warm hot chocolate & holiday music :)

xo - heather
www.ThisLifeIsYours.com

Debbie said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the wood for the mantel and the window in front of the fireplace is genious!! Looks like it's out of a magazine, great job =)

crystal said...

Mantles are my favorite place to decorate. I could change it so many times, I think people would think something is wrong with me:)
Yours is lovely and I love how you framed your tv. Did you build that yourself?

Cynthia said...

Great mantle, I love the trees and the star. The wreath is cool too. Oh, I love everything!!!

Cynthia

Christine Vandormolen said...

Incredible...Holly your style is so unique !!! Your blog is my all- time favorite!!! Especially how you manage to do all you do without your home ever looking cluttered!!!! Keep it up.....

It's Just Me said...

Holly, I truly love your mantle. Just so beautiful. Can't wait to see what other goodies you have to show us this year : )
~ Deanna

ImSoVintage said...

I love what you have done, Holly. it is so hard to decorate around a TV and you have done a great job.

Hugs,
Laura

Amy Teague said...

Holly you always amaze me. I just love your style. Thank you for being such an inspiration.

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Everything is so pretty! We can't always hide electronics but you sure know how to make them look good. Love the candles in the tree shape and faux or not, the natural display looks great.

Sandra@Beneath this Roof, Within these Walls said...

It is all lovely. I love what you did with the frame around the TV, and all the greenery looks very real and very natural, and the snow is the perfect finishing touch.

blesid thrifter said...

I've been waiting for a moment to come see your mantel... oh my goodness, so worth the wait! Where do I start??? First of all, your greenery looks REAL. And good thing your paper whites are fake; my kids keep complaining about "the nasty smell" of my real ones. Those kids have no class, I tell ya! The window in front of fireplace with the candles... only you would have those work out so perfectly in the shape of a tree. Those industrial elements are my favorite! Everything is just picture perfect. You know I'm having mantel issues this year. Seriously thinking of breaking open my piggy bank and flying you out to California. xoxo jules

Shannon Fox said...

It looks perfectly lovely. The snowy accents and natural texture with the sparkle is wonderful!! Beautiful :)

Robin said...

Your mantel, the whole room for that matter, is gorgeous. So creative and festive feeling. Love your garland too by the way.

Elma said...

Yes it is all awesome!! Love the garland!! Merry Christmas!!!

Leslie Harris said...

Holly I really enjoy how you explain all your behind the scene details. Youre so darn creative, can't believe the twig runner you cut. You definitely have a creative eye. I really love visiting here!
Leslie (aka Gwen Moss)

Bliss said...

In true Holly fashion it's a winner.

Bliss

Pendra said...

BEAUTIFUL! Of all of the Christmas decorations I have seen this year, yours is my FAVE! I just adore how you put a window below the mantel and have the candles behind. You paint can twigs is GENIUS and just beautiful! I adore your mantel as it not so overdone and is simply stunning in its simplicity... love that star! Your cottonwood string is adorable and I'm so gonna start collecting to make for next year. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous decor...I can only imagine if you had all your goodies at your fingertips! I'm off to pin...
Crafty Hugs,
Pendra

lynn said...

just gorgeous, holly! i first found your blog xmas last year and have enjoyed all your posts since! happy weekend!

Sally LoveOfHomes said...

It looks beautiful Holly! I LOVE how your framed TV turned out...It looks so nice! I just love how you decorate!!

Cranberry Morning said...

I don't know how I happened upon your blog, but I've enjoyed looking around! There may be a limit to how many pins a person can get out of one blog post, but you have such great ideas. :-)

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Holly it looks amazing!
I love how you attached the votive holders to the window!

SweetPepperRose said...

So pretty, esp the large bird cage!

michele said...

perfectly lovely. and the paneled wall is fabulous!

if you have a moment and haven't already, hope you'll pop over to enter my giveaway for followers:
http://www.hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/12/personalized-lovely-giveaway.html

smiles to you.

michele

DIY Show Off said...

Every detail is gorgeous, Holly! Wow! I'm including this in this week's highlights. Thank you so much for sharing your creativity! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...