January 4, 2013

Fixing a Paint Project Flop....

My front door handle was a bright brass when we moved in.

 This post shows how I painted it black.
That was just over two months ago and here is what happened to this heavily used door handle.
Chipped paint!
The original lacquer was chipped when I painted the black over it so I am not sure if that is why the finish didn't last. But I fixed it. Here's how:
Re-sand, Apply BIN (the best primer ever) and Re-Paint.
Bin also comes in a spray. I chose to paint it on with a sponge brush.
I also used a semi-gloss finish rather than flat because it might be a little bit more durable. And...since the interior side of the door is black I painted the exterior side to match.
It looks much  better.
I reprinted the house numbers on vinyl with my Cricut.
My Cricut is the Create version - the very bottom line -nothing fancy. The font I used here is from Storybook. The "N" is printed on the
"fancy corner" setting.
BEFORE..
The storm door was painted from white to black and
it is holding up great.
The wreath on the storm door is hung with a plastic suction hook and when the interior door is closed the little white frame sits just behind it for a little added accent.
The doors match the shutters on the house and it looks sharp with white trim and accents. I will keep a close eye on this door handle and let you know if the paint flops again. BIN primer is an amazing undercoat (sticks to tile and mirrors too) so I am sure that will do the trick. I should have used that to begin with. Learn and share :)
view my new Tour My Other House page

21 comments :

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

The black door looks sharp!

Dawn said...

Great to know. I also have the brass fixtures on my door. Hated to mess with them, since they were so expensive. But Im going to now. All my other fixtures are ORB so I would love for them to match.

Cozy Little House said...

I'm loving the frame on the door idea!
Brenda

reFresh reStyle said...

It looks great, and I look forward to any updates! Guess who had shiny brass all over their house~me!
Have a great weekend,
Debbie

Diane said...

Looks so much better now. Love, love black doors, very stunning! Diane

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Looking much better black!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Kelly said...

I love a black front door. If mine wasn't stained and I was looking to make a change, black would be my choice! I love the contrast of the white numbers you made on the black door too. A nice front door makes such a good impression. Thanks for sharing your helpful tips!

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

What a great door! I think your door number is such a great idea! A very welcoming first impression!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing.

Dewena Callis said...

It is amazing what some paint does--in the hands of a creative person. And I loved everyone of your 8 touches around the house yesterday. Gave me some good ideas. However did you photograph the bathroom without getting caught in the mirror? That's difficult.

NanaDiana said...

The door looks great. I am glad you were able to fix your door handle. It is so cold here that the brush would freeze before you could get it out of the can- xo Diana

chateau chic said...

Love your idea of the frame on the door, Holly! The detailed white stands out beautifully against the black door.
Happy New Year, Mary Alice

Latest Fashion And Style said...

What a great door I love your fantastic idea....
http://stylopoint.com

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

Looks great! Everything you do is amazing. I need to paint my brass fixtures on my door after seeing yours.
Thank you for your sweet comments on my chair redo (and on Pinterest ;0 ) you are so sweet.

Happy New Year,

~Shanon

Sheila said...

Thanks for sharing. I have many fixtures that need to be painted. I would love to only have to do it once.

Danni Baird @ Silo Hill Farm said...

THis is a great tip! My husband just installed a new digital door lock keypad (brass) and it doesn't match my handle (brushed nickel). Guys don't think much about the matching I guess! Now I can paint it to match my handle! Yay! BTW...you are a "no-reply" blogger....maybe you know that already.

Lisa Hoagland said...

We have a composite "wood-look" door that I recently painted black. I was so sick of the yearly upkeep. So we used chemical stripper to get all the stain and top coats off then went to black. It looks SOOO much better! I love a black door! Great tip for the brass. That is on my to-do list as well!

Lisa - HouseOfFabuLess

Cyndia said...

BIN Zinsser primer is the best primer EVER! Good job! My black factory finish is starting to show wear. I'll have to do this to spruce it up.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Your door is beautiful!!!...love the wreath and the numbers are fantastic!

Pendra said...

Wow, your door looks amazing! Very classy! My front door looks almost exactly like yours except it's all white...plain old white! This really got my blood pumping, but gotta wait for Spring in Minnesota!
Thanks for the inspiration and the tips on how to do it right!!
Hugs,
Pendra

Katarina said...

Your door looks amazing! :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...