January 11, 2013

Nature Inspired Winter Decor (re-post from 2012)

It is strange to look back on posts from last year at this time. I miss living in our old house. Connecticut winters are so long - I don't necessarily miss that. Here in Virginia - it has been around 60 degrees. We even put mulch down in our flower beds yesterday and I have been wearing flip flops. A whole different story than what I was doing last January. I wanted to share my "Nature Inspired Winter Decor" post again....because I am a little bit homesick.
~~~~~~~
January 2012 
It's been so freezing.  It makes me think of all the little critters that live outside.
I love to invite birds into our yard in the winter.
So to remind myself to not neglect nature - I made this sign.
All the Christmas decor is gone but we have a long winter ahead of us.
Here's how I changed the house up for the occasion.
(keeping our little birdies in mind)


The pine cones and bird houses were on my Christmas tree.
The old chicken coop door always makes it's way back to the mantel.
(I love this junk find)
My friend, Amy, gave this frame to me for Christmas.
Here's our front room for listening to music...
I made a burlap knot cloth for the console - inspired by my friend Laura.
(I don't like to dust)
You have to see the other gifts Amy gave me....
Vintage Style Number Hooks.
 I wanted some hooks in the foyer for little friends that come to play.
Now they have a cute place to put their coats besides my floor.
perfect...
Winter Decor Inspired by Nature...
Feed the Birds
(unless you get bears)
Linking with:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am going to get some bird seed for the little birds here in the South this weekend. I brought all my cute feeders with me.
visit my new page Tour My Other House

11 comments :

Blondie's Journal said...

This is such a sweet post, Holly! Since I have lived in the upper Midwest all of my life, I don't know what I would do without 4 distinct seasons. Then again, I'd love to be wearing flip flops now and working in the garden!

Your winter decor was gorgeous...love everything...especially your sign. I wish I could feed the birds but because we have two homes, I'm not always here to keep the feeders full and I heard that was a bad thing since the birds become dependent on that.

Lovely post...look forward to more!!

XO,
Jane

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three said...

Love that sign. Pinning for the future. We always wonder about the birds in the winter (and do feed them). It really must be so weird not having a true winter this year! Although, I am a bit jealous since it is freezing up here!

Angela

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

Oh your winter decor is so pretty! And I love that sign! Happy winter!

Susan @ homeroad.net said...

Beautiful as usual... did you use a silhouette or other machine to make the sign? I'm really thinking about getting one... I'm usually a hand painted kind of girl but I love all those gorgeous signs!
Susan

hariette petersen said...

I love your blog. And find it so ironic that I was born and raised in VA, and moved to Connecticut, you lived in Connecticut and moved to VA. I loved both places as you did. But living in OK now is so nice with our milder winters and warmer climates, until we hit 119 in the summer months. whew... can't breathe. This post of your "feed the birds" picture is so beautiful. It is simply lovely. I had already pinned it on pinterest before I saw this spot. but thanks for the email and reposting. so nice. hariette

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

I love this, but I am now singing the song from Mary Poppins!

Nantucket Daffodil said...

The New England winters can drag a bit! Mulch? Flip flops? Dreamy right about now. Your blog is very cozy.

ImSoVintage said...

Love that sign. It has been sandal weather her for a couple of days too. A nice respite in the middle of the winter.
hugs,
Laura

Bonnie Hitchcock said...

Oh, how I love each and every mantle, nook and cranny of your home and all your 2012 posts. I know you must be missed winter. In Georgia we never have a real winter and our temps were close to 80 today. ugh!!!! I miss the winters of my childhood. Even in Georgia we had snow in the 70's. I think I'll move to the northwest:)

Bliss said...

I can see it now.... all the Connecticut birds are gonna fly as far south as Virginia just so they can be fed by you.

Bliss

Katarina said...

Of all the signs you made 'Feed the Birds' is my favorite. I have Merry Poppins moment right now. I love that movie. :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...