January 23, 2013

{Rustic Heart Mantel}

I started my morning with ambition to decorate for Valentine's Day.
(I usually just skip over that holiday decor and go for the heart shaped sugar cookies)
I had this one token heart to use.
The foyer is where it all began...


The "Back in Black" table needed something. So I distressed it.
Sand, Rub in stain... (I still use my old method that works - I haven't jumped on the chalk paint or milk paint & wax wagon - yet)
As the table dried I searched for a new wall piece and decided on my latest -
I was super lazy about getting all the nails out during this project and thought the nails might add some extra rough character. It did.
 Today when I took the piece off the piano it was pretty heavy. I don't like hanging heavy stuff. I took the back layer of wood off. I realized the nails might be easier to remove now.
Then I came up with a simpler solution!
I love my table saw....it just isn't always convenient to pull out to use quick, due to my garage space. Not so beautiful....
(I have to share with the boys - I'm keeping that in mind for the future house.)
Once the nailed ends were cut off it made the piece just about 3+ inches shorter
-no big deal.
I sanded the edges again and turned the thing over. Well....look at that?
The back looked pretty.  I am going to use it!
While the wood piece sat on the center of the table I used a level from the nail in the wall stud to the top of the wood. That is where I put the D rings (the blurry picture).
Two uses for one piece of junky wood. I am proud.
I just gathered the most "Valentine looking" items I had around the house and placed them all in one spot ... on the wood.
Lights, wreath with pink berries and a {LOVE} Christmas ornament.
The heart twinkle lights are from Target - $3. The wreath and metal heart are from
 The Nosey Goose.
I like the lighter wood and the distressed black on the foyer table.
Happy Valentine's Day decorating!

post signature

Sharing with:
Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special
52 Mantels
DIY Show Off

20 comments :

NanaDiana said...

It looks gorgeous- Great idea to cut off the nails...and look at that back!!! You did a bang up job on everything- xo Diana

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

Oh Holly. You inspire me so. I was on your blog over the weekend and before you know it, I was asking the Mr to make a rough rustic ladder. See my last blog post.
HUGS. Gee

Inspire Me Heather said...

Wow Holly, just beautiful!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

You go girl!! That looks beautiful!!

Leslie Harris said...

I love this!

Laurel@chippingwithcharm said...

Looks great! LOVE that you can use both sides...a "twofer" :)

Denise said...

You are so clever! A two for one deal! I have GOT to learn to do that sort of stuff myself. It's usually not worth it when I have to get the hubby involved. Anywho.....I love both sides of your project!

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

So pretty! I love that little white heart!

Blondie's Journal said...

You are one handy lady! A power saw?! They scare me! Anyway, I just love what you did here, the lights are a great idea. As always, everything looks natural and pretty. I don't decorate much for Valentine's Day either but I would if I had your creativity! :)

XO,
Jane

Julia Terpstra said...

Hey Brave Girl! You are amazing... my hubby hides the power tools from me. Perhaps it is time to purchase my own!? LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that you show it is OK... actually down right awesome ... to mix up finishes. The outcome is perfection. xoxo Jules

Mary Clark said...

Looks fabulous, love that you could flip the wood and have a completely different look. The way you decorated it with the wreath and heart really looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Mary

SweetPepperRose said...

Sweet ensemble of items! Love the heart!

Cynthia said...

Great project, I love the white heart and the frame.

Cynthia

Brooke Kroeger said...

These are so cool. I have been wanting to start a new project this week and it has been soooo dang busy! Great job!!

Thanks for sharing!
God bless....Brooke

http://creativecountrymom.blogspot.com/
My home and garden site...

http://brookekroeger.blogspot.com/
My Vintage Art and Printables site...

BumbleVee said...

a little work ..and voila...a lotta oomph! looks great...

Pendra said...

I can't keep up with you girl...you are a spit fire! So creative!
Hugs,
Pendra

Kelly said...

Very cute! That's a unique combination and makes a great statement in the entry area.

pink*cherub*moon said...

This is beautiful! I love all of the sweet decorative touches! Funny how just a few tings an come together so wonderfully! Hugs, Leena

Sheila said...

I am like you. I don't want to go all out for Valentines. I also try to use what I have around the house. Great job of using your on hand resources. Very cute.

Ruth said...

It's gorgeous. I love the whole area.
Ruth

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...