Feb 23, 2013

Black, White & Earth Tones

Using black and white as base colors (or lack of) for a room is a great place to begin decorating. Look at this wonderful room from Pottery Barn.


The trend setting pages of Pottery Barn catalog are an inspiration. Using b/w and earth tones makes it easy to throw in seasonal color.
 Our front living room is a mix of Black, White and Earth Tones.
So are our bedrooms (old and new).
The kitchen at our previous house.
I made that toile window valance to coordinated with the window treatments around the whole open first floor. All black and white.
(3 attempts to show the b/w damask panels from Pier 1 in the family room)
Well, here is this one.
The breakfast nook and part of the family room off the kitchen.
I made these simple panels and hung them with clips along with sheers on the insides.
Then more white simple sheers were hung in my office. I like the window treatments to coordinate from room to room.
When we buy our next house - I would love my kitchen to look a little bit like this... or exactly, I should say.
or maybe this....
The floors in our old family room were striped. I loved them and was so disappointed when I changed it.
A picture of our old living room from about 5 years ago. I love the contrast of black and white in any space - then adding a pop of color here and there is easy to change.
I got married in 1993 - I couldn't even choose a color for that special occasion so I had black, white and earth tone green - just like my old kitchen. I guess our taste doesn't really change all that much.
gorgeous gingham/buffalo check wingback chair. this whole space is just magic.
(this is a picture found on Pinterest - I had to share it but the link it came with doesn't show the full post anymore - but HERE it is)
I do appreciate color and love seeing it in other homes but when I try bold color on my walls - I can't relax.  I'm an earthy girl with back and white as favorite "non-colors".
If you are a fan of black and white decor, you can follow my black and white pin board on Pinterest.

22 comments :

Katie Mansfield said...

I love black and white. Black grounds a room.
Love your images.

Blondie's Journal said...

I really like how this trio of colors play so well together. And I really like your living room and bedroom, both so cozy!

XO,
Jane

Kelly said...

I'm just like you and prefer neutral colors over bright colors. I also prefer minimal pattern. I used to love all of that bright color and busy pattern, but as I've gotten older my tastes have changed. I love a muted palette that makes the house feel more relaxing and airy. I love all the pics of your house that you shared. Love the inspiration pics too!

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

I'm a neutral with black and whites girl too, but I also love adding blues. The only room in our home with walls other than tan or white is our ensuite bathroom- a Pale aqua, and our boys bedrooms. Love your style and your inspiration photos too.

Dawn said...

Holly, I always love your style and you do such a great job decorating. I agree when you keep it color theme throughout the house it flows so much better and makes it easier to move pieces from room to room. Perfect post:)

Stacey said...

Your black and white is timeless which is a decorating bonus! I've always loved your style but didn't realize that it was based on black and white. Smart girl!


I've always been in love with red tones and have them through out our house to various degrees. In this house we have more neutral with red thrown in and it's working.

NanaDiana said...

Beautiful images and that was a gorgeous home. I'll bet you miss a lot of things about it- xo Diana

Patty Sumner said...

It is all just so beautiful...As we are making our move to the new "old" farmhouse...I am dreaming of more black/white/brown/tan tones..maybe with small pops of color...Thanks for the inspiration..You always do such beautiful rooms...Blessings!

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

Just beautiful! Luv your black and white with earth tones :-)
Very inspiring. My son and his young lady are house hunting... I have been sharing some of your rooms with them :-)
Hugs, Gee

Cynthia said...

Beautiful pictures, I love black and white, it is so striking. What a beautiful home that was.

Cynthia

chateau chic said...

I guess I'm one of those who needs to use color, but I LOVE black and white when it's done well...which you definitely do!!!
Mary Alice

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i love this look- so timeless!

Christine Vandormolen said...

I love all of your white sheer curtains. I just got some at Ikea that you mentioned in a previous post LILL SHEER CURTAINS. I still need to get some curtain rings before I get them up...

Julie said...

Now thats interesting because I have never been a big fan of black & white before & yet I LOVE those pics you have shown & I think putting it with an earthy colour brings warmth to it.
When we bought this house my eldest son didnt want to move here so I promised him I would paint his room any colour he chose, And you guessed it . . . he chose black. But I put lots of white in it & it was always a lovely restful room to go into.
Happy week across the miles, Julie :-)

Julia Terpstra said...

Timeless Classic Style, girl! You got it! (Down to Earth, too!!!) Ah, Pottery Barn. So much inspiration on those pages. Almost as much as I get from you! I just love your decorating style. I think it's because you are so good at the finishing touches. Loved this post; lots of black and white eye candy! xoxo jules

Pamela said...

It is all beautiful Holly! I never even really caught on to the whole black and white thing thru out your homes. It is so subtle.

Sandi Barbera said...

Hi, I recently found your blog. I really love your style of decorating. I always choose design that has natural elements and neutral tones. Thanks for the wonderful inspiration.

JOY 2 JOURNEY said...

Simply gorgeous! I am a fan of black and white too. :)

Hugs

Gypsy Heart said...

Just gorgeous! I love black and white in any room...just makes me happy. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful decor.

Pat

Gypsy Heart said...

Just gorgeous! I love black and white in any room...just makes me happy. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful decor.

Pat

Jennifer Travis said...

Can you please come to my house and make it look just like yours? Thank you! I am so glad I found this site, it is EXACTLY the style I have been looking for. You've combined so many styles and made them flow together so well to make a whole new style. Looking to redecorate but have no idea where to start, that's how I found your blog. It's perfect. Very inspiring!

Jennifer Travis said...

Can you please come to my house and make it look just like yours? Thank you! I am so glad I found this site, it is EXACTLY the style I have been looking for. You've combined so many styles and made them flow together so well to make a whole new style. Looking to redecorate but have no idea where to start, that's how I found your blog. It's perfect. Very inspiring!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...