Mar 27, 2013

An Appreciation for Beautiful Photos

Living Room
I have such an appreciation for beautiful photography. This photo from Town and Country Living is so rich and pretty.  I enjoy visiting Jennifer just to see her wonderful pictures.  Isn't this living room a sweet cottage style?  Everything is perfectly placed.

Then there is my photo. I show you a clean version of how we live. See the toy basket? The remotes? I should pay more attention to detail and move those out of the way.  I don't take the time (keeps it real - I guess). Call me sloppy but...well, I am a 'project' girl! (and obviously NOT a perfectionist) My boy, Luke, used to tell his teachers that his mom is a "builder".  :)



This picture has Mazi's dog crate in it (at least her crate is fashionably black and white to match). I realize the quality of my photos is never not always great but look what I have to work with....
When I do any projects in the garage, around the house or outside - I carry along my Cannon Powershot camera so I can share with my readers "how to" steps. My Cannon teeters on the edge of my saw, lays next to open cans of paint and most always ends up on my garage floor. I go through cameras, drills and orbital sanders annually - at least. (I drop things) I am rough on my stuff, I know - it's embarrassing.
 For Christmas (2012) I was hoping for a Nikon D3100. Well, I got another Cannon Powershot and guess what? My Christmas (2012) gift is in the picture above (small shatter). The other one is from the year before (completely abused).  I purchased a new Cannon the other day. Sadly, I don't deserve a Nikon D3100.
So while I would love to be a great photographer, I am going to stick with my projects and decorating. I don't think a really nice camera is practical for the way I use them. I will visit Jennifer and many other beautiful blogs for amazing photos instead. Like...
and DaniellaWitte (I think white photographs beautifully)
I will rely on PicMonkey to help me out with straightening, cropping, brightening and making collages.
(It is so fun to play around with photos - I know I go overboard sometimes...a lot)
I'm not trying to apologize for my photos - they are what they are. I just recognize and appreciate amazing photography.
1-DSC_0256
Funky Junk Interiors
(Now - Donna takes amazing photos AND she's a 'project' girl/"builder")
Maybe I can make this new camera last more than three months. And since I don't pay $800 for my camera every year, maybe I can get some new tools with the money I save. Let's see - brad nailer, router, another drill, hand sander, drill bits, saw blades...
ETC. - ETC. - ETC.
Thank you to all the talented bloggers and photographers that inspire me with wonderful photos.

If you want to meet my HERO photographer GO HERE.
Amy used to take our family photos - I miss her!

13 comments :

Anne said...

Oh I love Jennifer's photos and home! All beautiful inspiration thank you for sharing!
xx
Anne

lynn said...

jennifer's style does make beautiful pics:)

and i love that, you pointed out all things that make your style... you, --so down to earth:) have a great easter, holly!

NanaDiana said...

Wow- Those are some really GREAT photos! And I love so many of the elements in them- xo Diana

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Oh wow, Holly. This really touched my heart. While you've been admiring my photography I've been admiring your projects! And I love the new look of your blog!! Often I read blogs in my iPad's Flipboard so I don't see the blog designs. Your photos look great even with your beat-up camera. LOL. You know what they say about photography ... "it's all about the glass." The better the lens, the better the photo so I've started collecting lenses. And I have to tell you, I remember looking at your photos when I first started blogging and sometimes you tilt the camera at an angle making your photo so much more interesting ... so I started using that same technique on some of my photos. So we inspire each other and I'm so glad I've met you through blogging. Thank you so much for this post ... you really made my day!

Susan @ homeroad.net said...

Holly just so you know I got the Nikon D3100 last May, to this day I haven't figured out how to use it. I am great at making my pictures artsy but I can't for the life of me figure out the settings in Manual. I actually wish I had gotten a point and shoot instead.
Susan

Debbiedoo's said...

Hi Holly, Just gorgeous! Jennifer is a doll face and I adore her home. P.S. I wish I had a basement to hoard my stuff:)

Leslie Harris said...

Holly, first of all, I love the way you share real life on your blog. It's beautiful and reassuring to all us mere mortals out here haha. The second thing I want to mention is that I have a Nikon D90, not an ulta expensive Nikon but still one with wonderful possibilites---only problem is I still can't figure it out. I recently started experimenting with Aperture and Manual settings only now when I return to Auto, something's wrong. Only I could mess up the Auto setting, don't know what the heck I did but now I can't get my close-up shots in focus. So much for having a nicer camera. :)
Also, I love that your son said his Mom is a "builder" that's too cute.
Leslie (Gwen Moss)

chateau chic said...

I guess we all have our strengths and can appreciate the talents of others as well. You're right up there with the amazingly talented, Holly, as a "builder" as your son put it. So cute!! It's always fun to see your latest creations! You never disappoint.
Mary Alice

Cynthia said...

Great pictures and a great post. Your son's statement that "you are a builder" gave me a giggle, thanks. I enjoy your blog so much and you are a talent

Cynthia

Christine Vandormolen said...

Holly, I think your pictures are always amazing....I think the reason why I prefer BLOGS over magazines is because in magazines everything is always staged and almost un-real looking. When room pictures look like people actually live in it I can relate and love them so much more.....keep your style....oh btw I love the SWENGLISH HOME blog as well

Pendra Heldt said...

Being called the "Builder" by your Son trumps all!! Any day that I see I post from you makes me smile in anticipation of what you're up to and what I love the most is that it's always "down to earth"!
Keep it up hon!
Hugs,
Pendra
p.s. Your photos are GORGEOUS and your home is real (beautiful)... your design, decor and space looks like real people might live there!

Katie Mansfield said...

I love your photos. I would never have known that you didn't have a more expensive camera. Thanks for posting this. I have felt a little guilty that I didn't buy the $800.00 camera, but then again,
I might have felt guilty if I did.

Cheryl said...

Holly,
I love your blog remotes, dog crates, and all. Thanks for keepin it real!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...