Apr 22, 2013

Happy Earth Day

I am so glad we actually have a designated day that we can contribute to our earth. 
Even if we don't all go out and plant a tree, we can just give a little thought about how we can contribute to keeping our earth clean and safe. In our family, we talk about littering and how it can effect wild animals and fish.

The earth is everybody's responsibility to keep clean.
 One day last winter, we took the kids sledding at a park nearby. When we arrived there was nobody there - but somebody had taken apart these styro-foam sheets and ripped them into pieces. (Maybe they had been used as "make-shift" sleds). Gatorade bottles, chips wrappers and all kinds of garbage strung all over our lovely park.
It made us sad to see that. So before we went sledding ourselves, we found some trash bags and picked up every bit of garbage in site. We didn't really get to sled much after all but we sure did leave that park all clean and nice for the next sledders.
We recycle what we can and pick up garbage on the ground when we find it.
This blog is about reusing old items and giving them new purpose, too. Like in Luke's old room, we reused my old headboard painted black and an old fence section that was headed for the garbage.
In my old bedroom we used an old window, door and random wood from the garage for the headboard. The white bench was from our very first house we bought in 1996. One dresser was a tag sale item.
We used an old door for our basement entrance.
We enjoy and respect nature.
(from our camping trip two weeks ago - cold!)

Isn't it great that there is a trend in re-purposing furniture and old architectural finds? Keeping and finding a home for these items helps our earth, too.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Just a little change makes a big difference.

Happy Earth Day!!!!

20 comments :

BaileyWife said...

Amen! My sentiments exactly.....and we love watching you recycle!

NanaDiana said...

Happy Earh Day! It sounds like you are doing a good job of honoring that which has been put into your care- xo Diana

Art and Sand said...

Happy Earth Day to you.

I love your old doors.

Leslie Harris said...

What a great post Holly. That story about the litter in the park was so positive, you're raising your kids to respect the earth and nature because of the way you live. And I have to say, recycling never looked so beautiful until You!
xo
Leslie (Gwen Moss)

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Happy Earth day to you too--I think we are doing a great job reusing stuff! I love being inspired by other bloggers to reuse. Who knew it could be so much fun?!

Julia Terpstra said...

Happy Earth Day! I love the fact that you use your blog for the GOOD of others and the Earth. I'm constantly amazed at people who feel like our beautiful world is their personal trash can. I'm just thrilled over this post and wish I would have done more to celebrate Earth Day with my kids. We have plenty of areas in our neighborhood that we could have visited... I'm going to do it TODAY! Every day should be Earth Day! xoxo Jules

Angela Ryder said...

Happy Earth Day!!~~Angela

Christine Vandormolen said...

beautifully put! Happy Earth Day

Barbara Jean said...

That old door to your basement is one of the first pics I saved.....
still love it!

blessings
barb

Down to Earth Style said...

Thank you....I love hearing from you!

Down to Earth Style said...

We try! :)

Down to Earth Style said...

Thank you!

Down to Earth Style said...

Aaahhh! You are the sweetest!

Down to Earth Style said...

You do a great job making old stuff look cool.

Down to Earth Style said...

You are right...Everyday is earth day. Really! Our earth so beautiful - especially this time of year. Thanks for your sweet comment, Jules!

Down to Earth Style said...

Thank you!

Down to Earth Style said...

Thank you!

Down to Earth Style said...

Oh - my $10 treasure that is now my headboard. Thanks Barbara Jean!

Terry and Danella said...

HI Holly! Thanks for your great post... I too, well, my hubs and I are big on EARTH! It sure is hard when so many are not... ~sigh~ We are so 'different' here in this AZ town... as we re-cycle everything... yet most do not. Not yet, anyway. We are from the Portland Oregon area, which was voted #1 recently on an article I read on Yahoo News, and I was so proud of it! And it's true, Portlander's are amazing! On another note, what is your 'bedspread' made up of? I'm trying to find something 'new'... well... new to me... for our bed, in a 'beachy' room. And I cannot decide what to do, I love your bed.. and I see it's not a 'new' traditional bedspread. Can you maybe share some ideas? Thank you a BUNCH!

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

You are very talented at reusing and repurposing, Holly. We love our local recycling and composting programs and work hard to do even better than the expected. I also like to repurpose too and try not get caught up on every new shiny item in stores. We love to camp, but have never been brave enough to camp in April. I don't even know if there are sites open this time of year around here lol.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...