Apr 10, 2013

Painted Muslin Window Panels

How do you get six window panels for $45?
If you have an idea of exactly what you want for your windows
and a little time to create it....you will be happy you did.


My friend Kristie and I started a little makeover on her family room.
(she is a super busy mom with three boys - she doesn't have a lot of time -
so I am helping her)
We bought 9 yards of muslin that was about 100 inches wide ($5 per yard with our coupon). Folded the fabric into 3 equal parts and snipped them with scissors at each end. Then ripped them apart. Folded each third in half lengthwise - snipped and ripped them again to make (6) 108 inch long panels.
Neither one of us wanted to sew.
After folding the fabric in half lengthwise again, Kristie used Stitch Witchery and her iron to "faux sew" the top, bottom and one long side of each panel.  I stepped in to help her paint the black and white stripes that she had been imagining for her fun and colorful family room.
We folded the tops down 7 1/2 inches and ironed them for a little top valance. From that fold we measured 13 inches down and taped off a straight line across. Each black stripe measures 18 inches. (2 stripes per panel)
I hung them 10 inches above the window molding.
I chose the rod finials - the large window is a little more decorative than the other two - no reason. I just like it.
Luckily, all the stripes lined up and look great!
But don't expect 'perfection' when you use paint on fabric. We found a few areas that are 'wavy' or 'smudged'. When they are all hanging up - they look perfect.
Six window panels for $45!
Just what Kristie wanted.
And since the black paint was out...
This makeover isn't over yet.
Fireplace redo, wall decor and pillow embellishments coming soon.

Sharing with :
No Minimalist Here

28 comments :

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

Nice!!!!
Hahahahha... you are not going to believe but I was just replying to your email and telling the Mr about a project I want to do w/ muslin.
Luv the drapery panels.
:-).. Gee

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Gorgeous! They add so much to the room!

Lynn Fern said...

Yup love it! And, they look like they cost way more than $45!!!

Katie Mansfield said...

Painting fabric. Who knew? It looks great.

Julia Terpstra said...

Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow! That final picture of the room with all those stripes lined up is perfection! I'm with you ... who wants to sew? Man would those look nice in my bedroom. And the price? Amazing! Great job, girlie!

Kelly said...

What a great idea! I like the stripes. I love no sew drapes myself. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your changes.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

This makeover is looking great! Love the curtains :) Your friend with the 3 little boys reminds me of when mine were smaller--my daughter is 14 months older than my twin boys. When you have 3 young ones you need help from an awesome friend like you!

I wanted to response to your comment on my blog--since you are a no reply blogger I'll reply here :)I would love to make some bows for Mazi! I am not set up to sell them yet but would love to send you some and see how they work for her. Please just send me your address :) It would be my pleasure!

Susan @ homeroad.net said...

The curtains look awesome Holly and that table did a 180 when you painted it black! Great choices for that room.
Susan

Down to Earth Style said...

We seem to be on the same page a lot. Muslin is my favorite fabric these days. Burlap is so messy.

Down to Earth Style said...

They're bold and look great with all the red, green and yellow.

Down to Earth Style said...

Just a little labor - no big deal! They do look like they were more expensive for sure - Thank you!

Down to Earth Style said...

For girl like me that like easy and fast - painting is the best solution. :)Thanks Katie

Down to Earth Style said...

Jules - you would like these in your bedroom - maybe even your cottage. Pretty easy. Love to hear from you!

Down to Earth Style said...

Thanks Kelly - I work on these little projects when the little guys are school. Soon I will share the rest. Thanks for stopping by.

Down to Earth Style said...

You are way sweet...Thank you. I like helping my new friend here in VA. :)

I didn't even realize I was still a "no-reply" - duh! I think I changed it. If I still come through that way next time - let me know. I will email you my address but I need yours too b/c I am buying the sweet bows. :) Can't wait!

Down to Earth Style said...

Thanks for noticing the table....sometimes I just expect the pictures to fill in for my lack of explaining. ;)

Cynthia said...

Gorgeous and they do add so much elegance to the room. Your girlfriend must have her hands full with three little boys.

Cynthia

Down to Earth Style said...

Thanks Cynthia...
Kristie is busy - a working mother, even. She handles it well. Have a fun weekend coming up!

ImSoVintage said...

What an inexpensive but great look.
Laura

Christine Vandormolen said...

Your friend is lucky to have you..just think of all the projects I would have you do for me if you were here....lol...you would never be bored!!!

Lynn @The Vintage Nest said...

they look awesome! I never would have gotten the stripes to match up. :)

jennifer said...

LOOKS FANTASTIC!!! YOU SOO ROCK GIRL!

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

How sweet of you to help your friend. Love the impact of the drapes and how they add interest and softness to the windows. Love the black on the table. Did you guys really paint it right there in the room. I'm so clumsy I have to use big drop cloths even for small projects lol. I can see a tv nook project in your future too.

lynn said...

the paint looks great, and i really like the folded piece at the top! the paint really freshened up the table, too:)

Pendra said...

Is there anything you can't do??? Wished you lived next door to me! Can't wait to see more of your friends room, she is so lucky to have you to help her!

chateau chic said...

Oh Wow, what a fun way to add terrific window treatments.

BTW, did I see you over at Kelly's saying you've been looking for a canvas bin forever? If so, I have one and want you to have it if we can figure out how to get it to you. Maybe meet halfway?
Mary Alice

Patricia Cooper said...

Love these! What type of paint did you use?

John Dudley said...

Mobile Application Development Services is helping businesses in becoming future-ready mobile organizations. Acetech plans, implements and manages mobility solutions that bring measurable business value.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...