Aug 26, 2013

Hallway Floor - $150

Last week I shared our Painted Stairs. Well, one thing leads to another. One reader asked what the top of the stairs looked like...I am now ready to show you.


This is a photo of the carpet that lay upstairs and no longer on the staircase. When we agreed to move to this house, the stairs were covered in - sort of a 'runner'. I figured the carpet was neutral enough. Once we moved in, I found it very hard to make the carpet look clean and fresh even though they had been professionally cleaned prior to our move. The weave on the hallway carpet was coming undone in a couple of places so I knew I wanted something else there. I also knew that the landlord was not ready to replace this flooring quite yet.
So knowing my return on investment could be $0 - I didn't want to spend a lot and I didn't want to sweat too much either. So while partying at Funky Junk Interiors last Friday night - I found THIS POST. You can read all about how this vinyl flooring is applied there. (the box made it to the recycle bin before I snapped a photo) The color is Antique Woodland Oak from Lowe's - they are kind of like big stickers :) .
This 'before' was actually after I removed the carpet. (You know how when you get the energy to do something - you can't pause to find the camera?) I washed down the walls that are painted a nice Carrington Beige by Ben Moore. I freshened up the white trim, too - makes a huge difference.
 The tone of the vinyl wood is beautiful! The carpeting in the bedrooms is in fair condition. By removing the most worn parts of the old flooring - it makes even the bedroom carpets look nice.
Because it is so thin - it lays level with the painted stairs.  When somebody wants to put new carpet in - the carpet can lay right over the vinyl.
The hallway feels brand new!
Right Mazi? I had to purchase trim for transitioning from wood to carpet - that was what made my makeover more than I expected. I chose neutral color metal ones and had them cut down to size. The color blends well with the carpet color. If you look closely behind the 'fluff ball' you can see under the door - that is the color of metal trim. Metal is a lot thinner and less expensive than wood trim.
One cutting trick that I will share with you to make this project easier is to use fresh razor blades - lots of them. Score the top and snap apart to get a clean cut. Works like a charm.
If you want to do this project in your own space - check out We Call It Junkin' for the installation tutorial.
Isn't it pretty!

30 comments :

Cynthia said...

This really made a huge difference. I can understand that you don't want to go through a huge expense especially for renting. 0 return. This really looks so good and clean. Mazi seems to approve.

Cynthia

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

I was just looking at those in Lowe's with a client last Tuesday as an option for her hallways as well. Now I know I made the right choice :-)
Looks great Holly! Mazi gave her stamp of approval I see.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

It looks awesome! You are a DIY rock star girl!

Leslie Harris said...

Holly what an improvement,
I love how it looks!! thanks for sharing this project.

Lynn said...

I've been seriously thinking on this flooring too. Yours looks great.

NanaDiana said...

Wow- That really looks great. I think vinyl makes perfect sense when you don't want to spend a fortune. You did a wonderful job and it looks fantastic. xo Diana

Dawn@ We Call It Junkin.com said...

Whoo hoo Holly, good for you! Isn't it awesome? Thanks so much for including my tutorial link in your post, and I'm so glad you like it. My daughter loves it in her room, and we're starting on Older Daughter's room this week. Then, MINE! Yay! Nasty carpet be gone! You're right about the wood thresholds, 'bout had a cow at the cost of that, yikes. At least the flooring is inexpensive. Take care, oh and, love your cute doggie by the way - Dawn

Christine Vandormolen said...

incredible .... so clean looking....will have to pin this in case I ever want to do this in my upstairs hallway. All heavy traffic areas of carpet get crappy looking after a while. I am seriously starting to think you are on some kind of wonder drug.....one day you re-paint your kitchen nook, then you make over the staircase and now the hallway??? Gesh ....send me some of whatever it is? LOL

felicia said...

Just wondering how that would work in a high traffic den? Any thoughts?

felicia said...

Just wondering how that would work in a high traffic den? Any thoughts?

Susan Homeroad said...

Wow Holly! That is the most unvinyl vinyl flooring I've ever seen! You've got me trying to think of a place to put it in my house now! Excellent post and your house looks awesome!
Susan

Ann McLeod said...

Love it! I have similar floors but I'm really loving the rustic look of these!!!

Ann @ The Rustic RedHead

Angela Ryder said...

OMGosh, this is such perfect timing for me. Our rental house bathroom needs new flooring and I really don't want to re-tile (long story). Do you think this would work in a bathroom? Your floor looks awesome for big stickers!!!~~Ang

Elizabeth BlueClearSky said...

Your hallway looks so fresh now and at such a great price too. I bet more people wish they had great renters like you.

Julie said...

That looks amazing Holly - so fresh looking. And that little "fluff ball" in the photo is so darn cute !!! Supervising everything :-)

ImSoVintage said...

Wow, it really looks great. What a huge difference. xo Laura

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

The floor looks amazing...!!..just love it..you did a fantastic job!!

chateau chic said...

Your stairs and floors look so good, Holly! I bet they make that whole section of your home feel so clean and much easier to maintain!!! You are one amazing woman! When you're done with all of your projects...I know you'll never be done...the value of the house will skyrocket!!
Mary Alice

lynn said...

beautiful, holly! love the tutorial blog, too:) tfs!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

I love it, looks totally amazing. Great color choice too. I am really impressed with the look. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

The floor looks gorgeous…What a difference! Great job!

Deidre said...

Great job Holly I love it! You always have the best transformations.Love what you've been doing with the rental to personalize it.Keep up the good work!

TheMoonAndMe said...

Thanks for this! I was just over at WCIJ, too, to thank her. We've been looking for a solution for our hallway that leads from the garage. I think this would be perfect. :)
Have a great weekend.
Kelly

Kelly said...

Wow! I love it!! I love how great that looks. Looks like old wood (my fave). You must be the best renter I've ever seen. You are doing such a great job with that house. Hope it comes back to you when you move to your next house. You are giving that house some love!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Holly,
Your thrifty floor looks GREAT! I put some wood vinyl in my beach condo 1 1/2 years ago and it gets very heavy traffic...still holding up very well.

Blessings,
Linda

Pamela said...

Looks fab Holly!

SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla said...

It looks totally amazing. Great colour choice. Fabulous transformation :) Greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

Mandy P said...

Does your new hallway flooring match the color of your downstairs hardwood? I love this look. I'd like to do the exact same thing in my house, but I'm wondering if I should try to match the hardwoods we have downstairs or if it's ok to go with 2 totally different colors.

Kacy Bailey Gatto said...

I have this flooring and I'm laying it in my hallway also, how did you lay it around the corner on the L shape hallway?

Kacy Bailey Gatto said...

I have this flooring and I'm laying it in my hallway also, how did you lay it around the corner on the L shape hallway?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...