Oct 25, 2013

Deer Old Window & Heavy Hanging Tip

I rarely pay full price for anything but as I walked through Homegoods the other day, I found something that I couldn't pass up.


A pewter looking deer head mounted on black wood.
He goes perfect with my old window.
I have to tell you - this window has saved my walls. I can make holes in the old wood and not touch the sheet rock. I used monkey hooks in the sheet rock and D rings screwed into the back of the window to hang it. If you don't know about monkey hooks - here is a picture of them.
You can find them in hardware stores or even Walmart in the section where other framing or hanging supplies are. They hold anywhere from 30 to 50 pounds each. The hole they leave in the wall is so small.
Here are D rings.
I use framing wire looped into them for smaller items, like in the photo above then I can use only one Monkey Hook in the middle of where I want to hang my art.
For heavier items like the big window - I screw a large D ring on two sides and hook them directly on the Monkey Hook!
The only thing is - if you hit a stud - you get to use a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch screw instead. 
Easiest way to hang anything...promise!

Sharing with: Funky Junk Interiors

20 comments :

Little Vintage Cottage said...

I've seen those hook things before but didn't know how they worked.

I LOVE your room, it looks so beautiful and cozy!

Tania

Cynthia said...

This piece looks gorgeous and what a great addition!!! We have used those hooks before and they are great.

Cynthia

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

LOVE the deer there! it's perfect!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

LOVE the deer there! it's perfect!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

That deer head looks perfect in your room and definitely makes the window. Great find. Hugs, Marty

Angela Ryder said...

Looks perfect on your window!!! Love it!~~Angela

Deidre Gilchrest said...

Hey Holly Your "rockin" the deer head!Looks Fabulous! Its a good thing ;)

Morgan said...

Love it!!! :)

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

Monkey hooks are a MUST with all the art I showcase at home.
Luv the new addition to the old window. Happy weekend!
hugs, Gee

Danni SiloHillFarm said...

I like your deer. I wish mine were elegant and pewter looking instead of real and kind of scary looking. (My husband likes to hunt.) I love your window and I've never heard of monkey hooks. I'm going to look for them next time I'm in town!

Susan Homeroad said...

Love the deer Holly and the window! I have those hooks and I have to be honest... I've never opened the package! Thanks for the inspiration, I certainly have enough things hanging around here... I'm going to give it a try!

Inspire Me Heather said...

Your deer (does he have a name?) looks perfect there on your wall!

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Those monkey hooks are great! Thanks so much for sharing the diagram showing how to wrap the wires on the D-rings. I always wonder if my wire is going to come undone over time.
LOVE your living room, Holly! Gorgeous!

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

What a perfect spot for him!! LOVE your livingroom and that huge window!!

Debra Oliver said...

thanks for your tip on the monkey hooks, love that window and deer head, such a great look!!

Kelly said...

Love that deer head! It's perfect on the window frame. It fits your room perfectly too. I don't blame you for falling in love with it. Sometimes, you just gotta get it!!!

Ever Evolving Life 4-5 said...

Great tip on the monkey hooks! I have never seen them before. I LOVE the deer head, and it looks perfect on the window. The deer should go great with Christmas decor too!

Heather

must love junk said...

The deer head is so fun! Your wall looks great! :)
Susan

lynn said...

the deer goes great with your room! and i had no idea what a monkey hook was--tfs:)

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Never heard of a monkey hook! I will be looking for them now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...