Oct 15, 2013

Guest Area w/ Bed Makeover and Play Space

My parents are coming to stay with us. We are excited and I was happy to make the space they would stay in a little bit more "snappy" than it was last year.

When my husband and I lived in Utah several years ago we were in to this old looking Mexican or Santa Fe style furniture. This queen bed is one of our old frames that we have handed down to our kids and now our guests.
I didn't want to take this bed apart or move it very far but I have wanted it to be "not so orange" for many years.
So I painted it right here in the same room - the attic. I put paper towels under each leg. Started with the recessed areas first with a small paint brush....
After two coats of paint - the orange parts were gone. Even though it isn't a perfect, even finish - I like how it turned out. (especially for the little effort)
I did't buy new bedding - just pillow cases and a mattress pad. The rest I used what we already had around here. Two firm pillows and two feather pillows and one body pillow - hopefully everybody can find something that works right for them to sleep comfortably.
Just sheets and a down comforter with a quilt. It is all mismatch but this room is actually our play room - so the whole thing is mismatched....
Legos,  toy bins and bean bags - with an ugly valance for the window - (it was here when we arrived).
If my parents want to stay up and play Call of Duty on X Box or Wii U - they are all set. Maybe I will pull the Rock Band stuff out - that is always a good time!
A card table for luggage and a fan to circulate the humid air that my guests will not be used to.
Where the stairs come up there is a bathroom. It is small so I hung a rod with hooks for towels outside the bathroom. 
Inside the bath is an old window hung with photos of all of us together taped to the back side with black electrical tape.
And another hook inside the bath for easy convenience.
Hopefully our guests are comfortable for the length of their stay - even though they have to climb two full flights of stairs to get to their "retreat" with toys.
Yeah! Time with family - a rare thing we get to do. I am so thankful and excited! So, if I don't check in for a few days - I am partying with my parents!

View the rest of this house HERE!

20 comments :

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh they will love having this space and their own private bath. Love the bed painted black. Hugs, Marty

NanaDiana said...

They will love it. They would love it if they had to sleep in a tent...family doesn't care! I am so happy that they are coming to visit. The room actually looks quite lovely. xo Diana

Becky M said...

I am in love with the towel hooks and mirror. The headboard looks great, such a great DIY makeover!

agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

Diane said...

The room is beautiful....a perfect place to stay! Love the bath. Great job with the bed make-over. Diane

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

They're going to love it.
I like it! I like the fact that you took special effort to make the bed comfy and the sleeping quarters cozy with a table and fan!
The bathroom...wonderful. The electrical tape made me smile.
It has everything they'll need but NOT OVER THE TOP...and stuffy. :)
Pat

Petra said...

Really good job on the bed - it's like a new one! Give yourself a pat on the back! What a gorgeous attic space - I would love something like that!

Robin Johnson said...

Looks like a perfectly cozy place for your parents to relax in. The bed makeover turned out great by the way. I like how it turned out not all one color. It looks amazing. Have fun with your visit.

Carol said...

They will love it! It is cozy, and you've covered all the bases -- place for luggage, their own bath, places to hang things, plenty of pillow options; but most importantly, you and your family are there.

Lynn@FernAvenueBlog said...

Holly... I sadly went through that same furniture stage. It was orangey and I am not sure what I was thinking. I got rid of it before I moved to NY.. I love how well the black transformed this set. Nice job!! I also love the mirror & hooks....

Kelly said...

Hey! At least you have a guest room to offer them. I don't even have one. We only have a 3 bedroom house. I know you will enjoy having them stay there. Your kids will enjoy them as well. It's such a great time to reconnect! Hope y'all have a great visit together.

Angela Ryder said...

What a great space! They are gonna love it! You thought of everything!! I love your bed! I have the same bed and have been wanting to paint it also.....I love this!! Have a wonderful time with your family!!~~Angela

Christine Vandormolen said...

I love this post, made me laugh cuz I used to love the Southwestern Furniture as well...in fact our Master Bedroom is similar to this...However the pine is a bit softer not too orange...so it's still ok....But I do have a large Pine Mexican Style Armoire in the Playroom that I have been meaning to give another stain color. Will pin this, never thought of using chalk paint....Genius....enjoy your Mommy (and Dad) lol...!!!!

Christine Vandormolen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
BlueClearSky Elizabeth said...

You did a great job updating the guest bed area. I like black painted pieces. Enjoy the visit!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Your guest bedroom looks great! Really like that family picture window in the bathroom--cute idea!

lynn said...

love the bed redo, holly:) cute bath- they will be comfy in this petty space--have a great visit:)

Katie Mansfield said...

The bed looks up to date. I love it. What a great space. I love that little bath.

Melanie said...

The bed looks great and though guests have to climb stairs, looks like a nice layout with the private bath. Enjoy your time with your parents!

Diane | An Extraordinary Day said...

What a great makeover Holly! Your parents are going to feel so special with all the thoughtful details, too! And your bath with the towel hanger in the hall is well thought out too.
Have fun with the 'rents!!!

Lawanna Brown said...

It was so awesome staying in this room!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...