Nov 13, 2013

Family Room Simplified

I have wanted to try new ways to arrange the furniture in our family room. Having the sofas face each other works out the best but they felt so far apart up against the walls.
Like this...
So I moved them closer together.
I worried that it would be awkward to watch the TV but it is fine.
The carpet gets dirty really easy because the door to our backyard is right here.
I pulled up the grey rug yesterday and steamed cleaned the whole carpet in this room. I left a lot of the decorations out, too (including the window panels). Sometimes 'plain' feels good.
I wish the flooring were all wood instead - it just feels cleaner.
I should have had the sofas like this the whole time. Conversation is much easier. I like that this room is square with a centered fireplace. Having the space behind the sofas and one coffee table in the middle makes the room all cozy but still feels spacious.
I love a little fresh change and a clean room - even though it might look a little "bland".
Don't forget our Holiday Baking Party on Nov. 20th. 
 Your hostesses:
                       Atta Girl Says    Down To Earth Style   A Stroll Thru Life                                                                      
Get your recipes out and ready to share!

Sharing with: Funky Junk Interiors

19 comments :

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

I think it looks great!! Love the sofas pulled away from the wall.

Lorem clinton said...

Wonderful blog. Images are really very nice and interesting. Beautiful sofas and clean house i like it.
Cleaning Services

sweetvintageofmine said...

I think it looks lovely! I enjoy "less" in a room, myself. It's a good feeling when a room is cleaned....makes me want to decorate! Your home is beautiful! Blessings~~~Roxie

Becky M said...

I really love the no place like home pillow! The whole room looks great!

agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

Cheryl Thornton said...

Looks great Holly! I just did the same thing in our basement family room...brought everything off the walls, the hubby thought it was weird at first but I think its growing on him! LOL

Have a great week!

Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

I love it! Of course..I still love that gorgeous sofa! I swear my next home will have all wood floors!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

i love it- much cozier!

Diane said...

Simple and sweet, looks great. Love the overall look with the new painted fireplace.

Lynn@FernAvenueBlog said...

I think it looks fantastic! Much cozier feeling...

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

It's a great, fresh look! I love your black and white accessories.

debi rosin said...

It's amazing what a little change can do for a room. Who says furniture has to be up against the wall?

The first thing I did when we moved in was rip up all the carpet. With pets and a lot of traffic it needed to be outta here. Luckily I found beautiful *old* hardwoods. To me the only purpose carpet serves is to protect the nice wood floor underneath.

Christine Vandormolen said...

looking great, even without some of the decorations....nice, clean, fresh, crisp.....
Question Holly -- Did you ever get the Mazi stain out of the carpet with the vinegar and baking powder?

lynn said...

it looks lovely, holly!! if we had carpet at an entry--omgosh, it would be the color of dirt! yours looks great!

Cynthia said...

I love rooms with floating furniture it is more intimate and good for conversation.

Cynthia

Pendra said...

I have been doing the same thing lately...purging and making things much more simple! We have had our daughter's family living with us for the last ~three~ months while their new place was getting ready... so I am spreading out again and it feels SO great!!! BUT, just in time for the holiday decorations... what's a gal supposed to do!!!
Hugs,
Pendra

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

Looks wonderful Holly. :-)
Wishing you a Happy Friday!
Hugs, Gee

chateau chic said...

I'm sure having the two sofas closer together provides a more intimate atmosphere.
Mary Alice

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

Less is more, sometimes. It looks terrific! We have our couches exactly how you placed yours, and it works great in our room.

Katie Mansfield said...

It looks great. Comfy and cozy and great for conversation. Perfect for snuggling up closer to the fireplace.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...