Nov 7, 2013

Painted & Chunky Fireplace Mantel

I can't leave my fireplace mantel alone...

I think it's because I am not loving the TV up there - but after talking it over with my family we all decided that it should stay - for now.
Why change it?
The top seemed "heavy" compared to the light, white trim below.
I added some old IKEA scrap wood to the outside of the white trim by screwing it into the wall. Then I was able to layer other pieces over it to make the base of the mantel wider and chunky looking.
Since this mantel isn't going to be permanent - I just used my nail gun to attach the wood to each other - not to the original mantel underneath. The whole thing can come apart pretty easily with a hammer. No glue was used at all.
Iron brackets.
The paint color is called Artichoke from Lowe's (Valspar). It's a pretty grey with greenish undertones.
The walls are Carrington Beige by Benjamin Moore.
White accents really stand out against the black marble and chunky grey wood.

If my wood had all matched - I may have kept it all dark walnut stain but I was reusing wood I had on hand.  Maybe I should have painted it white. Hmmm...

In a way, I like the challenge of making this rented house look a little more custom to our style but I can still be able to turn it back to original pretty easily.
View more mantel projects HERE.
Follow my Fireplace Mantel Pinterest Board HERE.

Sharing with: Funky Junk InteriorsMy Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

26 comments :

Cozy Little House said...

When I first moved here I had my TV on the mantel. But since it's just me, I can have it wherever I want it, so it's in a more unobtrusive place now. One of the perks of living alone!
Brenda

NanaDiana said...

It looks SO much better painted and even though the TV is now the darkest thing there I think even it looks better-less obtrusive. Nice job!!! xo Diana

Valerie Kueter said...

While I agree with you that the "after" pics show a much more subtle/cohesive look of the mantle and fireplace…I LOVED that walnut stained look. Sill, I agree that the top looked heavy…darn. You are so inspiring!

Kelly said...

I really like how that looks! It looks so pretty in that new color and how the trim around the tv matches the entire fireplace surround. That was a good idea.

Katie Mansfield said...

I love it. It looks great. You have fabulous mantel displays. I can't wait to see what you do with it for Christmas.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Another awesome temp project...beautiful look and color.

Blessings,
Linda

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Nice work! It's a great new look.

White Lace and Promises said...

Love the re-do! The color adds a soft touch. The decor is just enough! Love it!

Becky M said...

The new look is great! You did an awesome job! I love the accessories too - I am looking for a reindeer head like that for my mantle, but in gold!

agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

The lighter color is definitely better! I love those scrolley things on the fireplace too! I'm also loving your couch! Where did you get it?

lynn said...

that made such a difference--love it, holly! ALOT:) great grey color! happy weekend!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Normally I love a chunky, rustic wood mantel, but I do think you are right and the new color looks better with the white trim. More balanced. It looks really beautiful!!

Sabrina said...

Love it! Such an inspiration to me ;)
Sabrina
http://4mykiddos.blogspot.com

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Love the new chunky look, it is fabulous. Hugs, Marty

Deb Hrabik said...

Your style is always beautiful.
You are so resourceful in creating substantial (but temporary) look.
Have a great day,
Deb

Christine Vandormolen said...

oh boy HOLLY,you did it again.....I loved it before but I love this too....Our TV is above the fireplace too....not crazy about it either, but if I put it any other place it will take up too much room...

Cynthia said...

Oh Holly, I LOVE the change it is so much warmer and it blends the TV in better. I would leave it for sure. The addition of the brackets was such a neat addition.

Cynthia

Angela Ryder said...

You've done it, once again! Fabulous!!!~~Ang

Diane said...

I love your mantel before and after, but must say the new grey look is awesome! I think the framed TV over the mantel works...when I look at the overall view I don't really see the TV. Looks great! Diane

chateau chic said...

I like how you gave the total surround a makeover. Much better!!
Mary Alice

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

I love the change! And the paint color is very pretty.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

It looks great! I loved it before (I am pretty sure I even pinned it) and now I like it even better. Your home looks fantastic!

Gypsy Heart said...

I think it looks beautiful! Love the color and yes, it blends well with the wall color too. I wish I had just a smidge of your vision and creativity!

Does the homeowner ever see the changes/improvements you make? I would think they would be thrilled!

xo
Pat

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

I think you should write a book on how to update a rental!! You are a pro...love this :)

Lee Dewsnap said...

I love the way you distressed the fireplace and the clever frame around the television. I am (for the first time), using Annie sloans Chalk paint as it has only just reached New Zealand's shores. I am having a wonderful time distressing a chest of drawers using the dark wax and sanding back as you have. I hope to feature in just over a week on my blog.

Lee :)

Leander said...

Since this mantel isn't going to be permanent - I just used my nail gun to attach the wood ... mantelbeige.blogspot.de

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...