Nov 15, 2013

Rosemary Twigs

One of my neighbors dropped by a business card that I had requested from her. I wasn't home so she left the card lying on my porch table with a sprig of Rosemary. What a thoughtful touch.
When I saw my neighbor again I thanked her, more for the rosemary than the business card as that left such a sweet impression of her kindness.
She told me that I could grow my own little rosemary plant from that little twig she left me.
(I had used it on grilled fish for dinner that night so I no longer had it)
Last weekend when we were cleaning up the yard I noticed that my HERB PLANTERS, having been neglected the later part of the season, were mostly dead except for the rosemary.
I found some soil and replanted the two small neglected rosemary plants together in this urn.
Neither plant was shaped very pretty so I cut them back a little.
Those little twigs clipped from my own bush sit on the window sill in a ball jar and water. I am hoping they will sprout some roots so I can transfer them to their own pretty pot.
I love smelling the natural scent of Rosemary.
I will be using this fresh herb in my Thanksgiving cooking. The stuffing and the turkey are so tasty with the addition of Rosemary.
Fresh, natural greens are one of my most favorite home accessories.
Now, if I can keep her healthy enough to make a topiary shape out of her in time that will be beautiful.
I know the floor looks like I never sweep - that might be true but Mazi won't leave this little plant alone - it smells so good!

13 comments :

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

I never knew that you could start your own. I have a plant but it's getting very old, so I am going to start another one.
I love when the dogs come in and you can tell that they have brushed up against the rosemary plant or lavender - they smell so good.
Thanks for sharing that tip. Have a great weekend.
Mary

Down to Earth Style said...

Yes...Mazi can't leave the thing alone. So I just stopped sweeping. :)

chateau chic said...

I love the smell of rosemary. I wanted to use it on my mantel at Christmas time, but I'm afraid I don't get enough sunlight inside to keep them alive.
Mary Alice

NanaDiana said...

I LOVE rosemary. What a nice thing for your neighbor to do. I was smart enough this year to dig up my two small rosemary plants and bring them inside-xo Diana

Deb Hrabik said...

I'm doing the same thing Holly! I have my rosemary clippings in water too. We have fun plans for those in January (maybe December)
Have a great weekend,
Deb

Katie Mansfield said...

That is great! Great minds…. I'll have to try rooting rosemary. too. I hope Mazi stays out of yours. Looking forward to the party this week. :)

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

What a sweet gesture from your friend! Herbs in the kitchen window are beautiful. Herbs in the turkey are even better!

Kelly said...

Well who would've thought that a simple request for a business card would lead to a reconnection with fresh rosemary? I love how rosemary smells. I use it every now and then myself. I always use fresh herbs on my turkey whenever I host Thanksgiving. It's such a special treat! Glad that you were able to find some you already had and rejuvenate it.

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

Now I'm wishing I would have brought mine inside, but I tossed it last week :( I'll know better next year!

Angela Ryder said...

I did not know you could root rosemary! I shall give it a try!~~Angela

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

In late summer I started rooting coleous and geraniums in Ball jars, because I can't see buying new ones each year, and I took my rosemary to my office, in the hopes of salvaging it, but I've never had luck with rosemary once I bring it inside, so I'm going to try your suggestion! Oh--and what a lovely surprise I had recently: The geranium in the jar IS BLOOMING!! I cannot believe it! :) Thanks for the tip with rosemary! ~Zuni
I hope you'll stop by and visit.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

I tried some outside and it died, maybe I can do some inside. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Katherine Brooks said...

Rosemary is the herb used for "remembrance". That is probably why your friend left it for you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...