Dec 5, 2013

Recycled Wood Holiday Accents

I made these ornaments several years ago but I'm sharing them with you again.
These are some pictures taken at an Open House I held for my friends and clients in Connecticut in 2010.

I made these by cutting down branches with a miter saw.
I made sets of 4 or 5 and sold them together in little tins or boxes.
Words like - Jolly, Noel, Joy, Bright, Jingle, Peace, Love and Believe were stenciled on each with a sharpie paint pen or I used my Cricut to cut out little words. Even numbers are way cute if you like numbers.
These blocks and square ornament sets were made with scraps of wood from other projects I had been making through the year.
And little holiday blocks were great for gift giving.
(bus drivers, neighbors, work friends - etc.)
Wrapped with twine, my business tag and a little wooden star up top.
I sold them all and haven't made myself any more.
I put so much love and effort into making them special for this event.
Where we lived in CT - it was hard to find stores with quaint little iron accents at the time so I would find them in my travels out west and bring them back for my Open House party.
(my carry on bag was 85 pounds once - yes - I had to unpack it all and get everything inspected for soooo long with little twin boys trying to be patient)
I started my small business in 2007. I made lots of things with wood like tables, benches, my own chunky wood frames and special order gifts.
I made every little thing besides the iron accents and greenery. I stayed very busy and I put my whole heart into my work. I made friends with my clients and wanted them to be so proud and comfortable in their beautiful homes. Helping them make it that way was my job but more my hobby and it brought me happiness.
 I had fun designing rooms and making home accents.
Sadly, I don't do this anymore. Not that I wouldn't do it again.
Why not? It's a long story.
 My designs were my own and I had a wonderful clientele.
(I look tired here - I was)
I was super happy with my work and loved creating unique pieces that you couldn't find in the store. I was successful, not rich but happy. Maybe a little too busy but I loved it.
This is a picture of my old work bench that we brought in for this event.
I covered it in craft paper.
I had made this big shelf to keep my inventory organized.
This all happened before my blogging days so I thought I would share some pictures from that event.
My good friend Amy took the pictures.

I hope these inspire you to make something of your own.

The original posts for these ornaments are:

30 comments :

Coastal Cottage Dreams said...

Oh I love them, they are so adorable!

chateau chic said...

You are so creative and talented, Holly. I know you must have thrived being able to have a business like this, as well as the opportunity to meet so many new people. I hope you're able to start up again sometime.
Mary Alice

Julie said...

Your creations (& everything you do) is just beautiful Holly :-). I especially love the little wooden cutouts & quite like having things like this around all year & not just at christmas. It is such alot of work doing this & I understand how, as crafters, we put a little of our heart & soul into our work.
Just a funny thing I wanted to share with you ... I used to work in a gift shop & we would put little fabric words like this on the trees at christmas ... one time a lady came up & asked us "do you have any other names apart from Noel & Joy?? Noel is my ex husbands name & I dont want that one !!!" I always think of this when I see "Noel" at christmas-time & smile to myself. Julie x0x

♥ Sonny ♥ said...


so talented and creative, I adore that style though I dont know what its called:) rustic beauty?maybe

anyway if you ever open an etsy shop or sell on ebay let us know.

Kelly said...

I didn't know you once had a business like that. I'm sure it was a wonderful creative outlet for you! I'm sure you surprised people when they learned that you didn't just design the items but made them too. The little signs with words were very cute.

Gwendolyn Whitfield said...

Simply Amazing, Holly! I'm so glad you shared them again... oh, if we only started blogging back then!

NanaDiana said...

I really love them, Holly! It is wonderful to bring out those things we love and use them again- xo Diana

Becky M said...

What a great way to DIY a shabby chic look! I love this!

agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

Petra said...

What a fabulous business - you are very talented - and making things out of wood seems so natural and special :-)

Becky {This Is Happiness} said...

Love them Holly!

Deb Hrabik said...

Hi Holly!
I enjoyed hearing about your business. "Making art" is a journey for sure, as far as a viable job. I am always trying to figure out the next thing.
Love all of your great ideas,
Deb

Cynthia said...

Holly these are really neat. I love them too bad you can't have an Etsy shop you have so many creative ideas.

Cynthia

Barbara Jean said...

all so cute...love the shabby JOY in first pic the very best.

I didn't think you looked tired at all. =) just too cute.

be blessed and thanks for sharing.
barb

fourpias said...

Hi Holly... I love your work and have been checking your Easy shop to see if you were back to selling. You had so many beautiful things. I have been dying to get one of the large frames that you made - like the one you had your boys picture in. I was the one who purchased the container that you have pictured above with the cut out wood ornaments. I always get complements on them. They r one of my favorite things to put out. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

fourpias said...

Hi Holly... I love your work and have been checking your Easy shop to see if you were back to selling. You had so many beautiful things. I have been dying to get one of the large frames that you made - like the one you had your boys picture in. I was the one who purchased the container that you have pictured above with the cut out wood ornaments. I always get complements on them. They r one of my favorite things to put out. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

These are all so fabulous and you really do the cutest projects. Love the really cute pics of you too. Hugs, Marty

Down to Earth Style said...

I love that! I have never heard of a man named Noel. Thanks for sharing that silly story!

Down to Earth Style said...

Thank you...keep meaning to open my etsy shop but...time! :)

Down to Earth Style said...

Yes, we started blogging in 2011...feels like longer.What did I ever do with my time if I didn't blog? Oh, yeah, I had a job. :) and kids.....still have kids.

Down to Earth Style said...

It was fun....I was doing so many little projects for myself and friends started ordering from me and having me decorate for them - so it then ended up turning into a job. Was great!

Down to Earth Style said...

Thank you!

Down to Earth Style said...

It is...I know so many people do this kind of thing now but at the time it felt like I was doing something new-ish and special. Thanks for stopping by!

Down to Earth Style said...

Me too. You have the best painting techniques and art. Love your style!

Down to Earth Style said...

I did have an Etsy shop...just never make anything for it now. Limited work space here and crafting is MESSY!

Down to Earth Style said...

Thank you, that is sweet to say. I love that JOY one the best also.

Down to Earth Style said...

Hi...oh, yes, I remember you. I do or did have an Etsy shop. Please email me if you'd like one of those frames and size...
downtoearthstyle2012@gmail.com

Down to Earth Style said...

Thank you Marty! You are way sweet!

Ever Evolving Life 4-5 said...

I think it's awesome that you can work with all of the tools you use! It seems so scary to use some of the bigger tools. I have wished there was a "girl" class to learn how to make things like you make, and use some of the tools you use. Hey, maybe that's an idea for you???
Happy Holidays!
Heather

Sherry Thecharmofhome said...

Cute ornaments!
Sherry

Lawanna Brown said...

Holly, I love putting my wood ornaments on my tree ever year. I will always have a little bit of you home for Christmas. love ya, mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...