Jan 24, 2014

Painted Pedestal Sink Skirt / Shower Curtain

What a weird week it's been. We got 2 inches of snow on Tuesday and the kids have been off of school the whole week for it. I know that sounds goofy to some of you that live near the mountains and when we moved from Utah to the East Coast, we thought it was ridiculous! Until we left home in our 4 wheel drive cars and started slipping all over the road. It is slick out there, I will say that.
But last week I made this skirt and I want to share how. If you missed how the Sink Skirt Rod was made Click HERE.

Some background....
What started the whole project is that the color of the bathroom was rust. The toilette paper roll came out of the wall so I filled in the wholes but couldn't find the same color in the garage for touch up.  We are renting so I haven't been super picky about the color.  So I bought an "oops" color for $5 at Lowe's for a whole gallon of good low VOC paint. It's a buttery color. I thought I would use that as sort of a primer and then use a grey color called Rope by Eddie Bauer over it but the "oops" color covered it in 2 to 3 coats and I was done painting by then. :)
One thing new I learned was that the mirror was removable by stretching these little attachments outward and the oval mirror slipped out. I am storing it in a safe place and using a mirror of my own instead.

Back to the skirt,,,,
This shower curtain was $9.99 at Homegoods. It has a striped tone on tone pattern.
Cut it down to the length it needs to be to hang from the rod. Ironed and fabric fuse the seam at the bottom next.
Envisioning a thick black and white stripe is what brought me to this.
Frog tape off every 4th tone stripe (the tone stripes made a good guide for straight lines) and paint. The tape held the fabric in place also because I taped it right onto our huge dining table. :)
Special fabric paint?
No!
".
(several years ago I painted a couple of ugly tag sale chairs with satin wall paint - OK, they are slightly crunchy but they are just accent chairs - not "snuggle" chairs)
The key to keeping the paint where you want it is making sure the tape is on tight - rub your finger over the side that will be painted several times. Also, by keeping the paint "lightly" applied and not too thick helps. These black stripes are a little rustic - not solid.
This skirt will have to be removed for washing so shower curtain rings will work best with the sink rod. This set is old from the boys' previous bathroom. They fit the industrial/masculine style of the rod.
The square style of the rod goes well with the striped pattern and casual theme of the bath.
The metal pail holds extra hand towels and the lantern filled with twinkle lights creates a sweet night light.
That was a little bit of a "wordy" post. Thanks for making it to the bottom! ;)
T.G.I.F
Sharing with: Funky Junk Interiors

12 comments :

debi rosin said...

WOW Holly. . . you come up with some of the coolest ideas. . . love the *make-shift* skirt rod, the painted skirt. . . I especially love the lantern. I buy oops paint all the time for small projects, just makes sense. .

I'd love for you to stop by my blog real simple style (7grands.blogspot.com)

Have a good weekend. . . d :)

lynn said...

i didn't realize the skirt was painted--looks fabulous!

Katie Mansfield said...

I want to know what you are hiding behind the curtain. Haha. I didn't realize it was painted either. Well done! Love the new paint.

Junkchiccottage said...

Wow Holly,
That came out so awesome. What a difference some opps paint and that cute skirt made in there. Love the new look you achieved. Super cute.
Kris

Pendra said...

You are soooo super-duper creative... the pipes for hanging your sink skirt is genius! Our master bath has a pedestal sink and NO storage, this is a great idea outside the box, love it! Hey I finally posted my gorgeous boxwood wreath you so kindly sent me, I LOVE it... check it out! Thanks again!
Hugs,
Pendra

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

That looks great Holly! I love that pretty wire cage hanging over your potty too:)

Cozy Little House said...

You're just full of DIY ideas!
Brenda

Becky M said...

So cute and a simple DIY! It totally transforms the bathroom! Gorgeous!

agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

That turned out very nice. I would have never thought to paint it..but then I would have never thought to make that curtain holder either! Clever girl!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Love how you painted the sink and shower drapes!...Really love the look!

Lawanna Brown said...

Holly, love the shower curtain rather than cloth fabric. Water splashes, no problem. The lantern is darling and perfect for a guest bath with no windows. I've never used oops paint before, but will check it out on my next small project. Thanks for your great insight. You are wonderful. love ya, mom

Christine Vandormolen said...

that turned out great....I love the hanging lantern in the bathroom with the twinkle lights...you know I have a thing for twinkle lights....Are they battery operated or plugged in????

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...