Feb 3, 2014

6 Painting Tips, a Winner and Thank YOU!

First of all I want to give a huge thank you for the sweet comments on the Saturday Spotlight post by Must Love Junk. I feel so lucky to know such a sweet group of readers and I appreciate every one. A heartfelt thanks to all of you! You make the time I put into blogging well worth it!

So, as you can see from the photo above, I want to share with you some tips that I think make painting much easier and look more professional.
This is the before and after of the first painting of the stairs 
which you can see in THIS POST.
After a few months, I decided that I wanted the stairs to be a little lighter and brighter. I repainted the stairs and trim all white over the Artichoke color first. I paint my foyer entry trim and stairs at least once every year. High traffic areas get so dirty looking, even after they are cleaned.
TIP #1
Use a short hand brush with an angle. This one is my favorite...

Using a brush with a short handle keeps you close to your trim and in better control of where the paint lands.


Tip #2
Don't get the brush too close to the edge. Give yourself a little space for error. Cutting in too close to the edge can results in this...
Tip #3
Fix that "Bloop!" with a small, small flat brush from your kids paint brush set or something like this...
Small touch ups need a small brush, and again stay close, don't try to reach.
Tip #4
Wrap your paint brush up in plastic kitchen wrap in between coats to keep the brush from drying out and so you don't have to wash your brush until your paint project is complete.
Tip #5
Caulk!!!!


Use a caulk color that matches your trim. I still love white trim. If you don't see your color at the store, use clear. MAKE SURE THE CAULK IS PAINT-ABLE... (I learned the hard way) :)
A very small hole at the tip will keep your caulk bead thin. Do you know how to use the caulking gun?
Don't forget to stop the caulk flow by unlocking the little metal lever at the base of your gun while you pause between steps.  (again, I learned the hard way).
Houses continue to slightly shift over time so settling cracks are common but easy to fix. Doesn't that look so much better?
I keep white trim paint in my garage at all times. These white risers are going to get smudged with shoe scuffs so if a magic eraser sponge won't take care of them, a little touch up paint will. 
The left photo stair color is Artichoke by Valspar (Lowe's brand).  The right is Ultra White by Valspar for the trim and risers. The treads are Ashland Slate by Benjamin Moore in Aura.
Tip #6
If you spend slightly more on your paint, like Ben Moore Aura, you will have better coverage, faster dry time and a thicker paint and that means less mess ups. I end up with Valspar paint a lot, not because I love it but because it's convenient to pick up when I am at Lowe's. For furniture or cabinets, it's worth the trip to find Ben Moore or Sherwin Williams paint, in my own opinion.
Painting trim often keeps even the wall color more fresh looking. Hiring a professional to paint the trim along with your walls can increase your cost significantly so learning how to do the trim yourself will save you money. Your home will have a very crisp and clean look and feel, too. I hope this helps for your next DIY painting adventure!

NOW FOR THE WINNER!
We had so many enteries to win this 24"x12" Triple Heart decor by
Thank you to Mandy, the owner for her generous offer to the our readers here.
And the winner is..... (wait for it!)
Kim Becker Ross!
Congratulations!
Thank you all who entered and LIKED my sponsor on their Facebook page.
We will be hosting another super cute giveaway really soon! :)

22 comments :

Jennifer Leible said...

Great tips! Thanks! I always use Valspar or Behr and don't have issues, but maybe I'll give Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams a shot someday!

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

Congratulations to the giveaway winner.

imsovintage said...

Thanks so much for the great tips. xo Laura

Patty Rumaker said...

Great tips. In one the houses I built when I was building houses, I painted the risers gloss black. I do have a tour of that house on my blog, "1109 Birmingham Home Tour." The customer who bought the home said to me, "I know why you painted those risers black." He stated that I had painted them black to hide shoe marks which is a great idea - but no that wasn't it - I painted them black for drama and I loved them and so did the painter who painted them. When I told the painter the buyers wanted the steps painted white he wasn't happy at all. He said they took all the drama away and I have to agree, but then that's what the customer wanted.
Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

Debbiedoos said...

Nice job Holly and great tips! pinning:)

NanaDiana said...

That looks GREAT-love the new color. It is so fresh and crisp looking. I am with you- I keep trim paint on hand and I always use Benjamin Moore for the trim. I favor Dove White-just has a slight cream touch to it without being yellow. Great tips, Holly! xo Diana

Kelly said...

I really enjoyed this post! I'm the main painter at my house for interiors. I learned a lot from you. Looks like I need a brush for the trim like you showed. Good idea. I've already been using the plastic wrap method, except mine is a sandwich bag. I already use the BM and Sherwin William paints. They are the best in my opinion too. All of my rooms are done in those brands. Including my furniture outside of chalk paint. I love your stairs painted! The new lighter color looks better along with the white painted risers. I won't be painting our stairs though since we really need the carpet to protect from falls. We have wooden basement stairs that I once had to go to the hospital for a nasty fall (wearing socks). So, now I'm extra careful on them. I just feel more secure walking up carpeted stairs inside our house though. We just had our carpet professionally cleaned and now it looks like we have new carpet!

Leeanne said...

I love the new look. Thank you for the glad wrap tip, I could have used this when we were painting the exterior of our home.

daves colorado said...

I have read this and I am very glad to learn your exterior house painting tips. These are very helpful. We can also ask about these things before hiring a house painting Contractor Company.

daves colorado said...

I have read this and I am very glad to learn your exterior house painting tips. These are very helpful. We can also ask about these things before hiring a house painting Contractor Company.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Perfect tips. I need to paint my baseboards, they are really bad. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Sarah Dusenberry said...

I am so glad that I found you through Cozy Little House's Tweak it Tuesday! I am currently staring the task of painting the entire interior of my house in the face. Oh, yes, and all by myself. Honestly, I was just going to paint over the cracks. I didn't know any better! Thank you for sharing this! You just did my house and sanity a huge favor!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Love the steps..they look fresh and fabulous! You know I'm about to need all of the painting tips I can get!

June G. said...

This post is one I've needed! I have painting projects I'd like to start DIY since the painter I used for everything took off and moved to another state! This gives me the courage to start....thank you!

Barbara Jean said...

great tips Holly, and congrats to winners.

Have a blessed day
barb

Cynthia said...

Holly I love the change on the steps. You did such a great job. My husband uses the same kind of brush for certain projects. I stick to the furniture. For some reason I am a spaz when it comes to doing projects like this, LOL!! So glad that you were in the Spotlight. So well deserved. You are one talented lady.

Cynthia

must love junk said...

Holly, your stairs look amazing-so fresh and crisp! Thanks again for being my 'Spotlight'! :)
Susan

Laura Lane said...

So good I pinned it!
Blessings,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

Lawanna Brown said...

Holly, love the brush. A good brush makes all the difference. They are a little more money, but well worth it and last longer too. I bought one like yours years ago and guess who thinks it's his now? Your dad has about warn it out. Have always loved your paint tips and choices of colors. love ya, mom

Jules from bles-id said...

What wonderful tips... especially the angled brush! I know my projects don't turn out as well as I plan because I go cheap with my brushes! I haven't blogged in so long ... I'm glad that YOU are! Happy February my sweet thang!!!

xoxo jules

Inspire Me Heather said...

Your stairs look great Holly, thanks for the good tips too!!

Raymond Sharma said...

Really useful tips for the entire person who want to show their home attractive by awesome painting. It is right said by you that same brush may not use for entire walls for painting. Just select the brush shape and sharpness for paint in corner and get pretty look. You should opt a practice challenge for painting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...