Feb 18, 2014

Re-purposed Cabinet to Mobile Kitchen Cart

We have a "U" shaped kitchen. Sometimes an island works well here but other times it doesn't. By using a small cabinet from our old island, I made a mobile cart that can be used when it is most needed but put away when it's not.

When we purchased our Connecticut home in 2005 - this is what our island looked like. I eventually took it apart and made this...
That transformation made our kitchen look more customized and interesting. I used the original granite top on the new wood structure and was left with a couple of cream cabinets. I built another island for one of my clients...
I made both of these projects before my blogging days but you can read a little more about kitchen island re-do's HERE.
The portion of the island that I had left over was this piece.
I wanted another drawer and I wanted to bring my pots and pans back into my kitchen work space. They had been in my office on an open shelf - you can view that post HERE. I use the pans more since our Eat Fresh New Year's resolution so this provides perfect storage for them.
Since I wanted this island to have wheels I had to make it shorter by cutting off the toe kick all the way around the bottom. I used my table saw for that job.
Three of the sides needed to be covered in the same finish. The front door and drawer were painted at one point but I needed the other sides to match each other. I used only pieces of wood left over from other projects and by using a brad nailer and nail glue, I was able to get a horizontal panel look.
The wheels were under $11 each.
I painted the whole body of it in a color called Rope by Valspar.
Then sanded it to distress the paint finish.
Since I will use the top of this island for food prep, I wanted it to be new. I love a butcher block look. What I found was this piece of spruce that measures 1 inch thick by 24 inches wide and 48 inches in length. The cost was about $31. I didn't have room to use all 48 inches so the piece was cut down to 38 inches.
After the wood was cut down to size, it needed some smoothing out with the hand sander using a 120 grit paper.
Liquid nails was applied to the cabinet edge before placing the counter top on the island.
Make sure it's level. If one side is off, then shims are the best way to get the surface all leveled out.
Two decorative, iron corner brackets support the long over hang.
Usually I have small metal corner brackets on hand but today I did not. I used a piece from a curtain rod bracket instead on one side where there is a small over hang. The silver bar is from IKEA to hang pots and pans from.
I have some matching knobs and pulls for cabinets but this funky piece called for something different.
A glass knob from a tag sale and a screen door handle turned side ways for the drawer pull.
The more character I can give this island the better.
One side has a 4 inch over hang on the top so underneath I attached a metal rod and "S" hooks for pots to hang.
(you can see on the left - there is a "shim" to make the top level)
The other side hangs an iron horse hook for a hand towel.
A bar stool can fit there at the back or our garbage can fit snug there, too.
The wheels make it so I can move it around like a bar cart.
Anywhere I want it to go.
I am super happy with the way it turned out. I can use it in many different ways. I spent $65 on the wood top and the 4 wheels, the rest of the supplies I had on hand.
It's the kitchen island that keeps on giving. :)
I hope you enjoyed this post. Have a super fun day!!!!
Sharing at these link ups:

37 comments :

Jill B said...

Another awesome project!!!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

How fun, I love it, what a creative idea. Hugs, Marty

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

such a great idea! it looks awesome- love the planks!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Love it! What a great way to get exactly what you want!

Kelly said...

That's a great looking island! I love how you added different pieces of wood to the sides. It looks much more interesting that way. I love the hook for the towel and the bar for the pots and pans. You've really thought of everything!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Love it!

a house full of vintage said...

This looks amazing!! What a great idea and use of materials! Love!:)

debi rosin said...

WOW Holly, you should have a TV show. . . ! You're sooooo creative. ..and I must say, BRAVE. . .I would never put a cabinet on my table saw and cut it. . .
http://7grands.blogspot.com/
~d

chateau chic said...

Love this island with the bar to hang your pots. Another great project, Holly!
Mary Alice

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Hello Holly,
Girl, you have come up with another super neat idea...love it! Like how you are hanging the pots.

Blessings,
Linda

Cheryl Thornton said...

I look forward to your creations and this one didn't disappoint - looks great Holly!

Cheryl @ The Creative Me and My McG

Kayla Kaliszuk said...

Love it!

Tania Pelletier said...

I love this project! I am hunting for the perfect thing to make myself an island out of so I loved seeing yours!

Tania

Katie Mansfield said...

That is adorable. I love the random look of the wood covering. So stinking cute!

Michele Alger said...

Perfect! Our last house had the same shaped kitchen as yours, when I expressed a desire for an island on wheels the builder laughed. If there's a next time, I'm following your example! ;)

Tanya Runkle said...

Wow Holly, this is wonderful. And I love your black accent wall too!!

xo, Tanya

Gail said...

Great job Holly! I love it!!

Dawn said...

How super duper cute, and you didn't waste any materials. Brilliant idea to have the pans hang on the rack.

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

WHat a perfect little kitchen cart! I love stuff on wheels and I put wheels on my floor shelves. Makes it easier to clean. You are awesome with some power tools!

Trisha Flaherty said...

Hey Holly! I really admire your gumption to just jump right in to a project! I have grown so used to waiting for my husband to do the big stuff that I'm feeling jealous of all you bloggers who just go to it! Looks great - Where is that original transformation located? Not the one that came with the house but the one you repurposed from that. Trisha

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I really love the new cart!!! Great job!

Mike Green said...

You little carpenter you! Looks wonderful, and so does the wine.

must love junk said...

You are amazing!! Love it! :)
Susan

Angela Ryder said...

You never cease to amaze me with your projects! Love this!~~Angela

Cynthia said...

Holly, this is so creative and serves such a great purpose. Love it!!!!

Cynthia

syed ali said...

Make your own home based business without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Invest as low as 1$ and Get 2.5% Daily profit for 90 Days, Join Now
HotFxEarnings.com

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

Great job Holly - I love it. Still waiting for motivation to kick in here to get some projects finished. I have a pallet coffee table that I've been working on for over a year (or more).. ugh!
Love seeing all your projects.
Have a great weekend!

Christine Vandormolen said...

very very awesome...love the wheels and it gives the kitchen so much more personality!!!! what wine are we having??? LOL

NanaDiana said...

Well, HOW COOL is that, Holly!?!!! I love it and what a handy piece to have in your kitchen. The mobility of it is really nice!!!! xo Diana

Deb Hrabik said...

So custom in all it's country charm! Love the wheels - everything about it. So creative,
Deb

Junkchiccottage said...

Holly,
I just love this. What a great piece great job.
Kris

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

You are one clever lady! :)

Debra Oliver said...

love those great random boards! Perfect on casters. great job, it's a super cool piece!

Lynn@FernAvenueBlog said...

It is perfect... I like that it has wheels & you can move it around as you see fit.

Suzan Sweatman said...

I just added those wheels to my small farmhouse table to make it island height - the post isn't even up yet and I come across this lol - just gorgeous Dawn - LOVE !!!
( I even put the same pot rack on mine - wow - too funny )
You did a spectacular job !
XOXO

From the Old InkWell said...

How creative you are! Love it.

syed ali said...

Make your own home based business without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Invest as low as 1$ and Get 2.5% Daily profit for 90 Days, Join Now
HotFxEarnings.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...