Nov 12, 2014

Faux Metal Applied to Veneer Furniture


Last spring I was driving into a neighborhood on what happened to be garbage day... I was looking at homes but found this little piece of furniture waiting for the garbage truck. I knew it was made with veneer over plywood but drawers for storage are always useful. I didn't take a before photo because I didn't think this was going to be a blog worthy project.
After a failed paint job, I decided to use this HVAC foil tape that was left over from THIS project.
I had exactly enough silver tape to cover the whole base of this small night stand.
Once the tape covered all of the veneer I doubled up on vinyl gloves and used watered down chalk paint to rub over the shine-y tape.
Smeared it around with my hand.
Let it sit for only a minute before wiping the paint with a rag.
The flat black color takes the shine out and makes the tape look like metal.
This veneer was not in good shape but the texture worked great for holding the black paint and adding a patina. 
That is the back.
The top is attached with screws and made from pine slats that are painted black and white. I should stage this cute for a final photo but just imagine it in a boys room or a basement theater room. It's masculine and heavy looking. 
Hey, there are three drawers that are perfect for DVD's, remote control's...you name it....faux fweeee!

If you recycle junky veneer furniture ....you are a hardcore tree hugger! :)

Our weather here in Virginia has been amazing...perfect for doing projects on the driveway.

I'm so glad you stopped by. Enjoy your day!!!

9 comments :

NanaDiana said...

I have been known to save a junker veneer piece or two in my time. lol I usually peel the veneer off and paint it. It does look like old metal the way you did it. xo Diana

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

HVAC tape... who knew :)Looks amazing Holly. I have always peeled, sanded and painted. Now I have a other option.

Junkchiccottage said...

Holly,
Genius! Seriously this is great. What a great curb side save and re love.
Kris

Kelly said...

It always amazes me how you come up with the most creative ways to make over things. I never would've thought to do that. It turned out so neat. You're right. It would be perfect in a boys room or media room. You can never have too much storage.

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Great save :) I love the contrast of the contrast on top.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Great project and great results...happy that your posts are landing in my email again!!!

Christine Vandormolen said...

I love the striped top. I have been loving anything black and white lately!!! So you stop for trash in the street??? hmmmm, next Step will be dumpster diving??? LOL

Cynthia said...

Holly you are one smart lady. I'd never would've thought of this in a million years. How cool is this

Cindy

Lawanna Brown said...

Holly, I am so into silver right now. I can't tell you how many cans of silver spray paint I have bought this month. I love the look of the end table. I'm not sure I would be brave enough to try something like that. I might have to wait until you come to Utah again. I've always loved how your back slash looks in your kitchen, but never really thought exactly how you got it to look like that. Now I know. Never heard of silver tape before other than good old duck tape, but I don't think that is what you are talking about. You are awesome. love ya, mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...