Dec 22, 2014

My Christmas Village

My sweet mom painted a whole Christmas village for each one of my brothers and sisters and I. Each year on Thanksgiving she would present each of us with one hand painted house, school, church or antique shop to add to our collection. I have fifteen!

Each new structure had something to do with what was happening in our lives in that year. School, new home, job and one year I got an antiques shop when we moved to New England.
I am sharing close up pictures of a few so you can see the little details.
I like to display them with little twinkle lights underneath. It looks like little people are cozy and warm inside on a wintery, snowy night.
The details are amazing like each brick on this church is individually painted with the same variations in color as real bricks have.
Underneath them I have written the year it was given to me. If I was not present on Thanksgiving, because I live in a different state than my parents, then it will say who brought it to me. Mom would send it with whoever was coming to visit around Thanksgiving time - she made sure I received it safe and sound.
This year they sit on top of our piano. Other years I have put them above my cabinets and placed them on top of staggered boxes with faux snow. 
Aren't they beautiful?
Would you believe that my mom has six kids and painted these for all of us - starting the first year we were married? She's so patient and talented.
I love and treasure my village.
This is my mom with one of my little boys.
Isn't she cute! She's the best mom on earth!
Thank you Mom!
I hope you are all excited for the big day coming up way too fast....
xo,

9 comments :

Katie Mansfield said...

I love your village. What a sweet thing for your mom to do.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Such a very special gift! I would treasure it for sure! What love and dedication she has shown painting so many buildings for so many kids!

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

That is so special Holly. What a luving gesture ... so many beautiful little pieces every year. You are truly blessed.
Happy Christmas!
((HUGS)) Gee

chateau chic said...

What a priceless treasure your mom has given to her kids! These buildings in your village are absolutely beautiful and even more precious because they're full of so much meaning and memories. ! I love how she customized her gift to what was going on in your lives at the time.
Merry Christmas,
Mary Alice

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Your "village pieces" are simply priceless...what a family treasure to enjoy and pass down...I love that these are gifts from the heart and a labor of love!
Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Junkchiccottage said...

What a sweet gift Holly from your mom each year. Love those homemade gifts from the heart. You now will have this to treasure each year and eventually pass on to your boys. So sweet. Love the firehouse!!! Merry Christmas to you and your wonderful family.
Kris

Mary Ann said...

She did a wonderful job, didn't she?
What a great thing to have ... and enjoy every year!

Elizabeth BlueClearSky said...

The best village EVER, painted by your mom like that. A treasure indeed and beautifully done too. Merry Christmas!

Lawanna Brown said...

Holly, how sweet of you to put your Christmas village on your blog. Those were some of the most enjoyable hours I spent in preparing for Christmas. I am grateful that they mean so much to you. I know that it is because of your inspiration that I started them in the first place. love ya, mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...