Jan 19, 2015

Concrete Top Dresser

At the shop where I rent space to sell my stuff, another vendor had brought in this cute piece of furniture that came with a tri-fold mirror. I wanted the mirror and the price for the set was great.

The mirror went straight up to my bedroom but I wanted to change the top of this dresser. It was painted with a textured paint on just the top, not the edges.

After sanding the top down I realized why the texture paint was used.  It was MDF board that had either warped or expanded so the top was uneven. Covering it with textured paint was a clever idea but I wanted to try something new.
To prepare for the following steps I sanded then scored the top with a razor blade.
I mixed up some cement patch according to the instructions on the bucket. Just add water.
After covering the surface in a thin (but thick enough so it wasn't sheer) layer of cement I wiggled this little spackle tool back and forth to get any bubbles out of the cement. It took a little while for me to get it rather smooth - it wasn't perfectly smooth but that was fine with me.
It looked like the above picture.
I should have worn gloves for this step but I was worried the stuff was going to dry too fast so I didn't stop until it was ready to set up. (Why do I bother with a manicure?) I found that using my fingers along where the concrete meets the wood edge was the easiest way to sort of round off the corners. Then once I liked the way the edges blended smooth I used a wet cloth to wipe away any grit from the decorative wood edge.
I let it dry over night. The instructions say it takes 4 hours to harden.
The next morning I used a 220 grit piece of sand paper to scuff off the rough parts - I pressed too hard in a couple of areas and the cement chipped away but I liked it. I swept and vacuumed off the surface before sealing the top with water based concrete floor sealer from Home Depot. Several coats of it....like 6. It dried quickly so I was able to do this in one day.
Check out the before and after! Do you love it like I do?

During the process of the top being done I ended up roughing up the painted areas too. I wanted this to be a really unique piece of furniture with heavy distressing.
The body was sanded then glazed with ebony stain to create dramatic contrast with the areas where the wood peeks through..
I like the feminine legs and garden decal (maybe a transfer?) mixed with the rough and industrial finishes.
I was super excited to share this project with you. Cement is pretty fun to work with.
I will have to show you the tri-fold mirror in another post (once I make my bed.and clean up the laundry on the floor =/ ).

Thanks for hanging in there to the end of this post -  ;) 
Have a great week!
If you want to follow the shop where creative vendors and I sell go HERE to like our Facebook page.

12 comments :

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

OOOhhh. What fun!! Cement. I have never played with that before. The first time I/we played with dry wall mud, my son and I had a 'mud' fight. Hahahaha .
Adding this to my 'play' with list.
Luv the way it turned out.

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

I love this idea Holly! I see so many pieces with damaged tops that I consider beyond repair...looks like you've solved that problem in a beautiful way!

Lynn @The Vintage Nest said...

You did it again Holly....your talent shines through again! Is it going to the shop? Can't wait to see it!

Deb Hrabik said...

Love it! The heavy distressing made it perfect. Great piece!
Deb

Gigi Harlan said...

That is SO cool! I want to do that now too but probably will never get around to... but I want to, lol. Fantastic idea!

Michelle Allred said...

I absolutely LOVE it!!! You are so creative!! I love the way it turned out! So cool! xoxoxoxo

Lawanna Brown said...

Holly, I have always liked the look of cement tops, but have never seen it on furniture. Looks great. I especially like the distressed finished product. Very cool. I wonder what the person you bought if from will think of the new look. I would be very jealous. Thanks for sharing. love ya, mom

Sherri S. said...

What a great piece!!! So glad you shared!!!

Blessings...
Sherri

Kelly said...

that is the cutest thing! I never would've thought to add concrete to the top. Now, it doesn't surprise me that you would think to do that though.

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Really cute piece--it definitely has an aged look now! :)

garden&decoration said...

This idea is great. Thanks for sharing it and also your knowledge :)

Katie Mansfield said...

What a great idea. I've had furniture with laminate tops before and didn't know what to do. Concrete would be great. It's such a cute piece.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...