Mar 9, 2015

Plaster and Semi Gloss Chipped Paint

This solid wood book shelf was painted in a white semi gloss paint mixed with plaster of paris. (recipe here)

Using flat paint has given great distressed results in the past but the semi gloss is a thicker paint. It takes a little while longer to dry but I love how the paint chipped off when I took my mouse sander to it once it was fully dried. No topcoat is needed really but I did use a water based polycrylic over the whole thing.
Adding wheels makes it easier to move around since it is a pretty heavy piece.
How useful are these shelves? They hold winter boots, gloves and hats in the foyer for now but it would make a great night stand too.
Today was super nice outside so I put these lavender plants in with the basket of gloves. (I am so ready to throw winter wear away!)
Mazi sits in line of the camera lens every time I pull it out. At least she is cute.
The thing I love about this shelf is that it is wood all over, even the back panel. It was a great find at the Goodwill.
Thanks for stopping by!
 Sharing with: Coastal Charm

14 comments :

Lori Merrill said...

Very nice! You are so creative! Love your blog!

NanaDiana said...

That really turned out great, Holly. That was a good idea to mix the plaster of paris with semi-gloss. It looks perfectly old and loved. xo Diana

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

Luv the chippy look Holly!

Karen @ karensuponthehill said...

What a beautiful piece! I adore the wheels on it! And Your dog is extra adorable!
I would love for you to stop by my blog and join our Something to Talk About link party each week!
Have a great day!
Karen

Michele Alger said...

The shelves turned out great! I love the chippy look. I'm so wanting to put something on wheels, thank you for the inspiration!! ;)

Junkchiccottage said...

Awesome Holly. Love the chippy feel you got with this.
Mazi is such a cute photo bomber!
Kris

freddyandpetunia said...

Really cOOl piece Holly--great job!
I luv all the baskets too--
Catherine

Barbara Jean said...

perfectly chippy!

be blessed
Barb

Lawanna Brown said...

Holly, what a great find. You have done a wonderful job with the paint. Love the wheels also. Makes it so portable and easy to clean under. It is also such a versatile item, way to go. love ya, mom

Zefi said...

I think it looks terrific. Just my kind of thing. And Mazi is gorgeous. She obviously thinks the world needs to know that! Give her a kiss from me.

Curtains in My Tree said...


First Mazi is adorable and yes I like the white wood shelves

Christine Vandormolen said...

Gorgeous...I love the rollers especially and Mazi is getting cuter every time it seems....Holly just an FYI I just put together a collage with super awesome inspiration on how to decorate with old windows on my blog again. I used a couple of your pics with the source link back to you. I hope that is ok...lemme know amiga....
http://littlebrags.blogspot.com/2015/03/decorating-with-old-windows.html

Katie Mansfield said...

I really like it. It looks like it could be cargo furniture. I love your paint treatments.

Kelly said...

I'm sorry........but Mazi just stole the show! She upstaged your cute cabinet. But, I do like it. I like how it has wheels too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...