Mar 3, 2015

Recovering Dining Chairs


Hello there! I don't know about you but I am done with this winter weather. Our internet and cable went out last week while the kids were out of school b/c of the snow. It forced us to find other things to do. We survived and I got something done that has been hanging over my head.



This dining chair set of 6 has been clogging up my work space. I picked them up at a moving sale a few weeks ago for a good price and the chairs are super nice and comfortable. The fabric was not in bad shape and was quite pretty but I wanted to cover them. So here is how you do it...


Materials:

1/2 yard fabric per seat cushion
scissors
staple gun
staples
screwdriver

1 - Remove the cushion with your screwdriver
2 - Take off the ribbing piece if there is one. I started out being careful but ended up ripping it off by the third one.
3 - Place seat frame face down on the fabric. If using a patterned fabric, appropriately position the design on the seat cushion.
4 - Cut about three inches around your cushion so you can bring the new fabric around to the bottom side and staple it.
5 - Staple the fabric starting from the center of each side first. Pull the fabric snug around curved corners to eliminate tucks on top side of cushion.


6 - Reattach the cushion.

The table that I am putting these chairs with has two leafs and measures 107 inches long when extended. It seats eight comfortably. There were two chairs that went with the table so I refinished them in a contrasting paint color but re covered all the seats with the same pattern of fabric.
The chair styles are different but work fine together.
The table legs match the two end chairs and the cherry table top is stained in ebony. 
Once we started using this set I realized we are too messy to have upholstered fabric chairs in our breakfast nook.
Since I have rented retail space at a local shop my family is used to having "musical furniture".  It was pretty while it lasted.
But...what will stay is this fresh lavender that I found at the garden center. It smells so good! Makes me look forward to planting fresh flowers in pots soon.
Enjoy your week!


8 comments :

NanaDiana said...

Those turned out great. Too bad they aren't going to work for you-but someone else will LOVE them!
I love the smell of lavender. Spring is a good two months off for us here. ugh. xo Diana

Katie Mansfield said...

These are so cute. Great job. I love the fabric you chose.

Junkchiccottage said...

Holly your chairs came out so nice. They will sell quickly they are just gorgeous. Too bad they could not work for your home. Love the smell of Lavender too. Stay warm hopefully Spring is around the corner.
Kris

Christine Vandormolen said...

Oh yes we are way too messy to have anything with fabric in the kitchen nook. I hope you sell these beauties fast!!!! Ohh Holly I want to make sure you got my previous messages about not being able to reply to your comments? When I hit reply in my email I get this error message:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

holly@downtoearthstyle.com

Just making sure you are aware in case there is something wrong with that email address or settings!!!! HUGSSSSS

Kelly said...

Those chairs look so pretty! I love being able to change the fabric on a chair like that. I know what you mean about fabric not working out with children. My slipcovered chairs have to be spot cleaned and washed more often than I would like. But I love the look so much that I just deal with it.

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Those turned out beautifully and I the two different styles sure do work well together!

Hadi Agustin said...

great post..
very interesting

http://obatherbaluntukfaringitis33.blogspot.com/

Lawanna Brown said...

Holly, what a darling kitchen nook set. I love the contrasting and mismatched chairs. The fabric you picked is so perfect, brings it all together. Thanks for the great idea. love ya, mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...