Apr 18, 2015

Sofa Table Made w/ Wood Scraps

Happy weekend friends! We are having the most beautiful weather here in Virginia. The windows are open and a fresh breeze is blowing through the house. I love these days. This post isn't about the weather but when it's nice out that means I get to create comfortably outdoors.


Remember in THIS POST I framed in our kitchen refrigerator in the house we rent? Well, I took the wood out, which was super easy BTW and you can read the OTHER POST on how I made it a temporary enclosure. I am working on getting our rental back to it's original condition. (no big plans yet but .... that story is for another day)
The only plan I had in place for this project was the size but as far as style goes, like most of the time I just wing it.
I start with a top that measures the length of our sofa (85 inches) and the legs are 2x4's sliced in half lengthwise and cut down to the height that was 1/2 inch shorter than the back of our sofa (the wood structure part, not the cushions).
My goal was to use only the scraps of wood I already had. Instead of using metal "L" brackets to fasten the corners together I cut 1x's or 2X4's at a 45 degree angle and used 1 1/4 inch and 2 inch wood screws to put it all together.
I love to pull my saws out onto the driveway and just start cutting wood and fastening it together as I go. In the picture above you can see that my wood has already been used in other places but now comes together to make a unique table. I had in mind a picture that I pinned a long time ago...
so pretty
As I looked for this photo in my pin board I saw a lot of cool tables that I am sure have inspired me too. You can view and follow that board by clicking HERE.
Another table that I made years ago was in that board also.
Easy to make sofa table (my blog)
That was my first piece of furniture that I ever built from scratch.(bad quality picture =/ )
So this new scrap wood sofa table is sort of a mix of the two.
Once I had a structure put together that I liked then I sanded it, barely painted some of it with a light grey and then rubbed stain over most of it to make the exposed wood dark and rich. (see paint techniques HERE)
The corners are hammered in so they are more rounded and rough.
On one side the table has more dark wood showing through. (I sanded that bottom middle section more after this photo).
Here's the other side. The wood pieces were already painted white from it's previous life.
Here are some close ups to show how the corners meet and how the center piece looks.
I am sharing lots of pictures for those "visual" people like myself.
There are seams and screws that show and the sides aren't identical at all but I love a rough & sturdy piece of furniture with one of a kind character that's hand made and re-loved!
I hope you enjoyed this post. 
Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments :

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Holly, I love seeing women build things. I am not talented in that department, but you certainly are. I leave carpentry to my husband. I love what you built and the old look.

Debra@Common Ground said...

wow Holly, I really admire your ability to come up with something so amazing on the fly. I love that inspiration pic, I think I had that somewhere on Pinterest too. Your's looks just as fabulous! great paint finish, it looks like the natural patina! loved having you come by, xoxo

Lauren TheEndearingHome said...

Your sofa table is stunning Holly! I have never built anything, have wanted to, but just had no clue how to do it, thank you so much for sharing this post. I am always so inspired by the things you make, you are so incredibly talented and creative!

Kelly said...

That's a great looking piece! I would use it. I love how you can just whip something up like that in your own garage when the need arises. Me? I have to go shopping if I want something like that.

Pendra said...

Hi Holly, haven't been around lately so had to look through all your past posts... lots of beautiful inspiration, you have been very BUSY! I had to get my husband to look at this post because I LOVE this table and don't handle tools as well as you. I get the concept and plan in my head, but need a (*little* *WINK*WINK*)lot of help with the build. Thanks for sharing and hope you are enjoying Spring...we all survived! Hugs!!!

Christine Freeman said...

Nice! :)
I've discovered I'm a construction materials hoarder. Friends are surprised at my revelation. They already knew; don't you think they'd tell me?
Anyway, I've started putting things to good use instead of just pinning them.

A giant potting bench with matching bench.
I'm working on a kitchen island.
I have several armoire-type things in mind for my cabinet door collection.

Your console table is perfect -- and I really love the triangles instead of brackets. Metal brackets (to me) indicate a not very creative thought process. Like a great idea quit in the middle.

I'm following your lead (and my materials hoard) and using everything I already have.

As usual, you did a great job.
(From another local gal.)

Jill said...

Great job you did!

Tone said...

Oh my goodness!! I must have been sent here by some mysterious force, because lately I have been obsessing over these long console sofa tables! I have been looking for inspiration a couple of weeks now, and this is IT!! I am sorry, but I am going to copycat you! Hahaha... By the way, those wooden brackets looks way bether then the metal ones! Great idea (gonne steal that one too ) And I love the paint you gave it! So rustic and farmhouse-soutable!
Can you sence my excitement?
Hahaha...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...