May 11, 2015

Square Island on Wheels

Hello Friends! I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day. My boys were really good to me, as usual. When they asked me what I wanted for a gift I replied...pretty please don't fight with each other all day long (oh, and some lemon meringue pie sounds yummy!). :)

It has been a super busy week around here with projects (and life) but I am just going to share a few pictures of my latest and most time consuming one today.
I came across this marble table top. It isn't in new condition but it's still really pretty with plenty of life left in it. 
The smooth surface seems perfect for the kitchen so I couldn't wait to build a bottom for it to rest on. The structure is about standard counter height (35-36 inches high) maybe an inch or two taller b/c of the wheels.
This was a perfect "re-love" for me because I have made islands for kitchens before and have always used an existing counter top or I've tried to find butcher block because that is something I can manage mostly on my own. (cutting etc.) 
I like open shelving to store pots and pans or heavy items on so I made this shelf sturdy enough for that. You can see a picture of the first one I ever made. It's in our last home in Connecticut.
I used this shelf for so many things - produce, old milk crates full of cloths and towels. It's easier to reach small appliances that might not get used daily like a Kitchen Aid or toaster, too.
I didn't write this post as a tutorial but if you read my blog very often you will know that when I build, I just start cutting and screwing wood together as I go. Sometimes it even turns out better than I imagined. (sometimes NOT)

This rolling island could be used as a desk, craft table or any kind of work surface.

If you want to see more kitchen ideas GO HERE.

Thanks for reading and enjoy this beautiful month of May!

7 comments :

Junkchiccottage said...

Holly,
Always love to see your re loves. This one is awesome.
You did a great job. Glad you had a great Mom's Day.
Kris

Deb Hrabik said...

okay - when will you stop making things that I want to re create! ha. Always love your builds. Another one for my "to do " list.
Have a great day, Holly -
Deb

At Rivercrest Cottage said...

love that island. I thought your old one was perfect, but now I think this one is.

Kelly said...

Love how chunky this table is! The benefit of having casters on it is even better. I wish I had an island in my kitchen. It was laid out in such a way that one wouldn't fit. My next house will have one though for sure! Love the one you had in your old house too.

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

This is such a great island! I have been wanting to make one and will be looking for materials at the Lucketts outdoor market this Friday! I can't wait! I've looked at your other islands and they are equally lovely and so functional! Thank you for sharing! Hugs,Leena

Shabby chic Sandy said...

That turned out great--good job! I need to find some casters for a chair I have that is missing them.

Lawanna Brown said...

Holly, what a find. Love the marble top. Easy clean up and durable too. Those casters make it even more function able. Love the colors. Works with most any d├ęcor. Good luck with more treasures this week. love ya mom

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...