Jul 31, 2015

Project Challenge - Reclaimed Wood

As my Project Challenge friends may tell you, I have been a little in and out of my commitment to post a project for our Project Challenge event that falls on the last Friday of each month. Thank you to my fellow bloggers who understand that life comes first.
OK...let's get started here - so our material this month is Reclaimed Wood.....uuuuhm - I do a ton of projects with this stuff so I knew I could pull together a quick craft that anyone can do in only an hour or less. 
Here it is....
If you follow my blog you may have already seen one of these wood center pieces featured before. I took photos as I made this one for you - it was super easy!
These are 1x6 pine slats that I had been using as shelves in my kitchen. They are in the "please move to my new house" pile in our garage. Who can waste this stuff?...Not I!
After sanding the pine a bit and staining the exposed wood with Ebony color of Minwax stain then wiping it off I cut two more scraps from my "save" pile for the bottom side. This picture is foggy because it is so humid out today that my camera lens kept fogging up. Gross - hu?! So I came inside to finish my tray/wood centerpiece.
Using four wood screws and my favorite drill I attached the dark wood scraps to the bottom of the two pine boards to keep them together. At each bottom corner I placed a sticker of round felt so that when used on a pretty table top it will not scratch the surface.
So far, this has maybe taken twenty minutes to do since I had everything on hand.
The fun part is to add some of your own style of hardware to each end on the top side. I had these metal looking pulls (purchased at Hobby Lobby) in some of my craft supplies box. Two screws in each end at your preferred area of the tray and WOW - that is it!
 If you are using your new reclaimed wood piece as a focal point on a table, it is fun to add twinkle lights that can plug in at one end. These are faux flowers in mason jars - fresh flowers are my preference but I don't buy them often enough to keep them as a beautiful center piece.
Another way to use this 35 inch long tray is to increase your counter space by lying it on top of the cook top (if not in use). I have wanted to make a cooktop cover out of wood for so long but never did. This one isn't necessarily a custom fit but the felt tabs on the bottom each touch the solid surface counter top on either side of the oven. That makes it a perfect place to store vegetables that will be cut for a night of grilling out - or pretty much anything.
Pretty AND Functional! You can't pass up the opportunity to make something out of reclaimed wood - especially when it is this easy!
Now, you can see how my fellow bloggers have used their creative ideas on re-purposing old wood in the links below.
If you have a project where you have reused some old wood - you can link it up below too. We are LOVERS of reclaimed wood! Please share your idea from your own blog or website and your link will show up on all six of our blogs! :)
Thank YOU!!!! ENJOY!

13 comments :

Michelle Mortensen said...

I, literally, just did a new reclaimed wood project with some barn wood my dad bought off a guy with a barn that was falling apart. I cannot wait to photograph it and share it. BTW, I love your idea - and I never would have thought of adding the felt pads to the bottom. Thanx for the tip!
Best,
Michelle from simplysantabarbara.blogspot.com

Muhammad Ahmed said...

Guys I Wanna Share Some Thing Very Important :-)
I Wanna Tell About New Discovered Planet Earth 2.0 's Facts
Please Read Them Here
http://viral8facts.blogspot.com/2015/07/10-awesome-facts-about-earth-20-you.html
Admin Please Approve My Comment Thanks :-)

Jill Flory said...

So cute Holly! Love the idea of putting this across the stove - I don't have much counter space in my kitchen and one of these would help a lot when I'm needing prep space and not using the stove.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Your tray is so cute!! I am so jealous that you're able to just whip up a project like this! I'm trying to make a simple (small) wood table top right now and I make my pilot holes the wrong size, and my drill bit breaks, and I screw things in unevenly etc etc I need you to come put it together for me! :)

Diane Higdon said...

I am in love with your use of wood. The tray is a great idea. I am going to take it one step further and make one for our new 5th wheel trailer. I can't wait to get it measured up and make one. Thanks so much for your wonderful idea. Love it, and love all of them.

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

What a wonderful and USEFUL project, I need one!

Michele Alger said...

When I was making my plant stand I was SO tempted to stop at this point! Your tray turned out so great. I LOVE IT!! ;)

Paula@SweetPea said...

What a great project. I love this look and especially love that you can use it in so many places in your home. Your tray will look pretty in all seasons on your table.

Uwe Diekmann said...

http://mydiyol.blogspot.de

Hello Holly,
this tray looks great.
I would also like to rebuild because I like it so well.
Everything you have done so far for the Challenge, I think it's great.
Also, I really like your blog very much and visit it regularly.
I hope we see each other again.
many Greetings
xo
Uwe

Cindy DIYbeautify said...

Hey Holly, thank you for your sweet comments on my pallet project!

Down Sprigg Lane said...

Love this, what a great idea. Visiting from Homeroad.

Kelly said...

Such a cute tray! I like how you added handles to it with cabinet hardware.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love your tray idea, Holly! That smaller sized one would work perfect for me, too, since we down-sized. Good reminder to add some of those felt pieces to the bottom. I have plenty of those since we had the wood floors put in {and just about every piece of furniture wears them!}.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...