Feb 22, 2012

"Tween" Girl Room

When I decorate for kids - I let them pick out the bedding first, then I take it from there.


Kids love to have things they made and all kinds of "special things" around them.



It's important to let them have that and work with it.


I use the furniture they already have and bring in accents that are fun and appropriate for the space.
I made this cornice board for above the bed.


This is a special art piece that I mounted on beaded board.



A recycled frame that was once a heavy mirror - turned into a vibrant chalk board.




These black and white stripes were added with craft vinyl.



A medicine cabinet painted purple with polka dots holds lots of little "treasures".


The white bookshelf was already in the room so I just added black polka dots.


The white panels are from IKEA and the pink feather boa was a craft store purchase. I used black ribbon to tie it to the window panels.







This room was created for Emily who turned 10 years old.
A birthday gift from her sweet parents.
It's fun and pretty and all her own.

more bedrooms for kids here

15 comments :

Janel@hatingmartha said...

Thank you for stopping and saying hi at my blog! I am so glad you did...I think I am going to like poking around your blog!

Bliss said...

(Dare I tell Janel she will LOVE poking around your blog?)

A vibrant room for a 10 year old, I'll bet she couldn't wait to show all her friends. One year while #2 daughter was at horse camp we re-did her room. She was shocked... in a good way.

~Bliss~

Shabby chic Sandy said...

That room looks so happy and full of energy. Love it--what a perfect room for a young girl!

Sally said...

ADORABLE!! It looks great!
Sally
loveofhomes.blgospot.com

hong kong property said...

that is such an awesome room! neons!!!:D

Gail said...

What a darling little girl's room Holly. I love all the vibrant colors you used. Have a wonderful day, Gail

Michelle said...

I love it! so vibrant & full of color! where did you get those sconces? those are something I've been looking for!

Kelly said...

You did a great job on this room! I like that you get the child involved in the process too. That was a creative idea to use wall sconces as tie backs for the canopy over the bed. I like how you carried the pink boa from the canopy over to the drapes too. My youngest is 10, so I can relate to this age group. I bet she loves her new room!

Heather said...

My daughter and I are making plans together to update her bedroom as well. She will be 11 this May and we will be moving this summer so we plan to do our work once we move. We will be somewhat limited since we will be renting a house for awhile but hopefully we will at least be able to paint, maybe do a stencil. I absolutely love how you used the candleholders as tie backs for the canopy. I would really like to incorporate that into my daughter's room as well. Thanks for the inspiration.

My Crafty Home-Life said...

Great tip about picking the bedding first!

ImSoVintage said...

Perfect tween girly girl room.

Anonymous said...

What a cute room, a little girls dream to pick her room. I remember when my mom helped me redo my bedroom and let me choose my own colors.

Pamela said...

What a fun tween room! I know that young lady just just adore it!

Town and Country Gals said...

Holly,
what a great room redo! The vibrant colors are fabulous and so happy! A lot of clever touches! So glad you visited so I could find you! I'm your newest follower and will be back to visit often!
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Hey where did you get the bedspread??

You May Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...