Aug 28, 2012

Decorate with Barn Doors

A client/friend of mine has a beautiful home. The den off of her foyer reminds me of a men's "smoking room" from the old days. It is masculine with leather recliners and a big TV for football night. The ceilings are tall so the art we used needed to be big. I found some barn doors at a salvage store and repainted them. We kept all the original hardware on the doors and painted them a flat black.
These are huge and heavy. I needed help with the transport of these "beasts".They were painted gray and missing glass in the top opening. We filled the top openings with pet fencing and gave it a good coat of rusty red paint, I used crackle paint in some places so they still look old.
We anchored the doors to the wall with a large eye hook wired to a screw in a wall stud to keep them from falling.
We cut out an opening at the bottom (near the star in the photo above) for the air return in the wall.. Then covered the whole in pet fencing , too.
A great way to warm up a space and the large focal point fits this room perfectly.
The curtains were made from burlap. We just added grommets. The rope is tied in knots on either side of the window to large iron buttons.

The cat print is a little "art deco" and I like that it mixes up the style to make this room more unique to the homeowners. The skinny bench underneath was made from reclaimed cedar wood from an old barn right down the street from this house.
The rattan rug is from IKEA. The chairs and ottoman are from Restoration Hardware.

If you are lucky enough to find authentic barn doors - use them as art.

to see how I used the other two barn doors
that I purchased along with these CLICK HERE
if you like using recycled building materials for decor, see our bedroom HERE

This post was linked to:
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia - Tuesdays Treasures #100
The Brambleberry Cottage-Time Travel Thursday
Funky Junk Interiors - SNS #150

16 comments :

Danni Baird @ Silo Hill Farm said...

Oh my! I love it all...but I can't stop looking at those barn doors!! I'm off to check out your other ones! So beautiful!

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I love the eclectic mix in this room.

Bliss said...

Great doors, as only Holly can do!

~Bliss~

Coastal Cottage Dreams said...

Love those barn doors!!! So beautiful!

The Bold Abode said...

I love doors as art! I love doors period. They are just so beautiful...especially when they open for you.

~ Liz ~ said...

Holly, what a great find those doors were and they do make a wonderful fit for the room. Nice work. Love all the touches. Thanks for stopping over at Quirky Vistas and leaving me a sweet comment and for following. I sure appreciate it! I'm now your newest follower and happy to have found your blog.
Liz

Elma said...

Amazing as allways!! I would LOVE some barn doors:)

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

Your barn doors are beautiful....I just love using architectural salvage elements instead of the usual art....I just hung my wood and iron shutters and love them as opposed to the typical art or mirror....Just love the color of the doors...they look great in the room!

ImSoVintage said...

Those doors are simply amazing :)

Laurel@chippingwithcharm said...

Great looking room!! Love it all...but especially those doors and the window treatments...too cool :) Laurel

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

I love barn doors like this!! I don't know if you know ... but I'm not able to reply to your comments on my blog. You must have the reply thing turned off ... but maybe you already know that. :) I just don't want you to think I don't appreciate your visits because I love when you stop by.

Jordan@the2seasons said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE That is how I am feeling about these doors.

Pamela said...

Those barn doors are awesome Holly!

Bella said...

Those doors are so great and that color is perfect! What a statement it makes in that room. Beautiful Holly!

barn door said...

I know I found a very interesting and helpful blog here. I appreciate this wonderful information you have shared with us.


barn doors

Sarah Paul said...

King Iron Works

Thanks for sharing this great content, I really enjoyed the insign you bring to the topic, awesome stuff!

You May Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...