Sep 14, 2013

Ball Jar Ceiling Fan

After finishing a few bottles of our yummy Strawberry Jam - I was left with three matching ball jars. I had been eyeing new glass covers for my ceiling fan at the home improvement stores but didn't really like any of the options available.
So I used the jars instead...
For the last several months this fixture has been a bit of an 'eye sore'.
We use lamp light more than overhead lights so this hasn't been a huge priority.
The fan was here when we moved in. I painted the blades black. One of the glass bulb covers broke while neighbors were here playing. I needed a new look anyway.
Even though I think another fixture would be a nicer look in here, this fan circulates the air great. It still sells for $179 at Lowe's.  At least now it looks finished and not like it needs some serious attention.
You can view another post on recycled jars HERE.

Sharing with: Funky Junk Interiors

14 comments :

Cookie Dough said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cookie Dough said...

Thats what I call creative

Dawn said...

Perfect fix! I did the same in my bathroom, it was cheap and easy:)

Chelsea said...

Oh my gosh!! I love this! What a unique and creative solution!

Diane said...

Looks great. Sometimes that's all you need is a little something to give it new life.....now back to that strawberry jam you mentioned.....yum!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Great idea! It looks really cool!

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

Hahahaha!! Why am I not surprised Holly. It looks wonderful and what a clever idea.
My DIL is not happy with her chandelier and now I am showing her this to see if it sparks any thing with her. Luv it!!!
happy today.
Hugs, Gee

Cynthia said...

Holly,

What a fantastic idea. I love this so much. I don't think I ever would have thought of that. Aren't you clever.

Cynthia

Michelle said...

A simple solution, but it really looks great!

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

Great idea! I love using those jars for different things. Very creative.

ImSoVintage said...

What a clever idea. I love it. xo Laura

lynn said...

you clever girl:)--love this idea, holly!

Ceiling Fan Expert said...

After being in the ceiling fan business for over 25 years I must compliment you on your innovative idea...it looks great! I also feel obligated to let you know that you may have created an unsafe condition because the light fixture on your fan is probably not designed to handle the heat generated by completely enclosing the bulb as you have done. Fan light fixtures like the one on your fan are designed to use glass shades that are open on the bottom in order to allow the heat generated by the light bulb to dissipate. Don't be surprised if the plastic sheath covering the wiring inside the fixture gets too hot and melts. This will eventually cause the fixture to short out and stop working. It could also cause a fire.

minden19 said...

I love this!! Is there anyway you can give directions on how to accomplish this?? I have a ceiling fan and I wonder how the jar attaches to where the existing shade is?

You May Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...