Jan 10, 2015

Make a Wood Table Runner

You have seen wooden table runners, right? I love the rustic look of them and how narrow they can be. One of the best features is that the display on top of it can be removed all at once instead of one by one if you like to display more than one item in the middle of your table.

 The other day I was cleaning the house and thought the dining table would look nice with a centerpiece. I used this new left over scrap of 1x6 pine (around 18 to 24 inches long) that is made to look old with layers of spackle and paint then sanded to soften the corners. The handles are from one big drawer pull that was split in half. I screwed each piece on the ends for a comfortable grip.
The back side has two large pieces of felt stuck to it to protect the table top finish (I worked hard to get it stripped and stained).
I like the white distressed wood against the dark stained table top. Now when my family and I need to use the table I can just scoop the whole display up in one swoop to clear it.
Super easy!  And since I had all the stuff on hand it was quick to put together. 

Later on I added candles to it and displayed it in the shop on another table that I refinished. It sold the first day! So - I need to make another for myself. I have a couple of extra kitchen knobs, maybe that will work. What do you think?

Hope your 2015 is going great so far! Here in Virginia we just need to get back to our mild winters and we'll all feel better. I want to wear flip flops - not boots and gloves!

Have a wonderful week!

16 comments :

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

The reason I keep my table display in a tray.. scoop and gone!! BUT I luv this... rustic against dark the table. Hmmm.... Oh Douglas.
And those handles are very nice! Will have to dog through our stash!
Hugs, Gee

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

What a great idea! I can see why it sold fast. I need to put handles on my pallet board centerpiece.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Great handles, this looks fabulous.

Traci Creel said...

I have one in the works that is similar. I love the fact that it won't take up so much room on the table.
Traci

chateau chic said...

I love this idea and project, Holly! The handles add that fun, interesting, and useful touch. Not surprised it was snatched up so quickly in your shop.
Stay warm! Mary Alice

linda56 said...

i love the contrast too ...light with the dark......what a nice touch with the greens.....i think i just might have to find something like this for my table.....thanks for sharing....

Alicia de los santos said...

Sencillo y hermoso, lo amé.

DD's Cottage said...

Simple yet elegant--Love it!

Junkchiccottage said...

Looooove!!!!!
Kris

Deb Hrabik said...

What a great idea. Looks beautifully rustic and charming!
Deb

Tamara said...

It looks so rustic yet elegant.. I love the idea of a wooden runner! It seems old worldish. And so handy, too. Thank you for sharing.

Blessings,
Tamara

Katie Mansfield said...

Those handles are super cute. I love it.

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Hey Holly, I tried to respond to your message on my post this morning and it came back with this message....because: Message sender blocked by receiving server.
Anyway, thanks for visiting and commenting on my post!

wayne brown said...

Holly, great idea. Hope ur 2015 is great! Hope u make it home this summer!!

Lawanna Brown said...

Holly, what a great idea. Who would ever think of a wooden runner. When I saw the heading, I couldn't wait to take a peek. Love it. Am always looking for new and interesting things for center pieces. The handles gave such a personal touch to a unique runner. Thanks for your never ending creativity. As the young at heart might say, "YOU ROCK." love ya mom

Kelly said...

I love the way that looks. I also like how easy it is to pick up when you need to make room for other things on the table.

You May Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...