Jan 24, 2015

Old Windows & Aquarium Stand = Awesome Buffet

Last week I picked up an old aquarium stand at a thrift shop. It was made of wood so I grabbed it.


In this picture above I had already given it the first coat of paint but the whole thing was that dark brown color you see inside.  Since the stand was a little boxy and not too heavy I decided to make some feet to add character and height.
I cut a 2x4 into 4 squares.
Then set the miter saw at a 10 degree angle and chopped one edge of each square of wood. I also cut 4) 1x6's to screw the 2x4 pieces into. It creates more dimension when stacked and, best of all, it makes attaching the feet to the bottom of the table much easier.
After making pilot holes where the screws were going to go I used 1 5/8 inch screws to attach the two pieces together prior to applying them to the bottom of the stand.
Simple feet that can go on just about any piece of furniture,
It's really important to pre-drill the screw holes so the wood doesn't split.
Paint them and you'd never know they weren't original.

I spray painted the inside black with Rustoleum 2X cover paint.
I found a couple of windows to fill in the two openings at the back. I just had to cut the wood frames down a little bit so they would fit.
On the opposite side, which was probably the front, it has working doors that open. I put a 1x8 inside for a shelf with corner brackets. The top is just 3) 1x's cut to size and stained in Minwax Ebony. The whole thing is sealed in polycrylic.
There it is....
I was going to take it to the shop to sell but maybe I will hang on to it for a while. It looks great against our black wall (link). I could use it as a curio cabinet for fragile things or maybe a china cabinet? White dishes would look nice in there.
The feet make a huge difference in giving the piece more unique style.
I like furniture that is painted but still shows real stained wood on the top. That was a fun project for me to do. Thanks for viewing it. I hope you find inspiration to create something of your own. 

Happy weekend!!!






For more ideas to upcycle old windows Click Here.
Sharing with: Pieced Pastimes Saturday Link Party #102

23 comments :

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

Hmmm.. I have a few windows in the garage taking up space.
It does look nice against the black wall. AND you know I am partial to horse canvasses :)Perfect!
Happy Saturday Holly!

debi rosin said...

Hi Holly, I think that is my favorite piece you have done to date. . . I love the legs, the color, the old windows. . . I like the way you think. . . have a good weekend. Debi.

wayne brown said...

Great idea! You R very handy with tools & painting!!

Katie Mansfield said...


I just love it. It's so cute.

Leslie Harris said...

wow. You have such an incredible eye and you know how much I love your taste. I would have walked right past this piece never thinking about these kinds of changes. Looks fantastic!

Gigi Harlan said...

You are so very creative! I love this piece!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

It turned out so good! You are so creative and talented!

Jennifer Schmitz said...

Your stand turned out great! I love the touch of the old windows too!

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

Now this I love!!! Great - awesome job! The windows were a perfect addition.

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

What a great job on your stand. You would never know that it held an aquarium. Looks really good. Your quite the little carpenter.
Mary

Dawn said...

OMG what a brilliant idea, I love it and want it :)

Angie Chavez said...

Holly, I love this!! I have a lot of old windows, but it wouldn't have occurred to me to cut the frames to make them the size I need. You did an amazing job on this, and it's so creative!

Shelly Andrade said...

Holly this turned out so awesome! I have all sorts of ideas, but can't seem to manage my time well enough to pull them all together. Great piece!

Junkchiccottage said...

Ok Holly you are officially the furniture Whisper!!! You can re love a old piece into such a beautiful new piece like nobody can. Love this. It is a perfect re love. She is a beauty. Great job.
Kris

chateau chic said...

This turned out to be such a fantastic piece, Holly. You never cease to amaze me with your wonderful creations and transformations.
Mary Alice

Peggy Zortman said...

You are too clever girl! I love the old window idea, genius! And you are so right about the little feet. Perfect!

ImSoVintage Laura Walker said...

I love how it turned out, Holly. I would have a hard time letting it go, too. xo Laura

JennyMae said...

Love this piece!!! Its beautiful!! I would keep it! :-)

Lawanna Brown said...

Holly, I have an old dresser downstairs that I have been wanting to add some feet to. This piece has really inspired me. I had never thought of making them myself. I may end up buying some at Home Depot and see how that works out. Looks great. I loved the above comment that you are officially the furniture Whisper. So true!!!! love ya, mom

carlacram.com said...

Wow this is so cool, you make it look so easy too!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Well that was some genius vision on your part! I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years! Looks gorgeous!

Debbiedoos said...

Holly you are so clever! Looks awesome.

Levin said...

Last week I picked up an old aquarium stand at a thrift shop. ... aaquariumstand.blogspot.com

You May Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...