Mar 24, 2015

Cottage Style Dining Set in White and Grey

I just finished this cute little dining set. I fell in love with it at first sight, although it was an orange tone stained wood, I knew a little paint would make it just darling! Look at the table base. It matches the shape of the three chairs.


Isn't that a sweet style?
The chairs and bench are painted white with one grey (Rope by Valspar) stripe down the middle wood slat.
Usually I like a stained table top but I didn't love the wood grain in this particular piece.  It was a perfect opportunity to paint a checker board pattern on. (you can see how to do a checker pattern HERE)
Table tops need a tough surface to withstand cleaning over time. I used Bin primer after a complete sanding of the surfaces and used a semi-gloss paint (spray and brush). I actually used polyurethane wipe on in gloss to seal the finish. I worried that it would yellow but after I tested a spot I knew it was safe. However, a little yellowing would be OK since the white is so bright.
The edges were distressed by using a mouse hand sander with 120 grit then a 220 grit paper. The top was sanded with a 120, 220, and then a 600 grit paper by hand for better control. The wood that shows through the paint is stained in dark walnut by Minwax then rubbed & blended around with the wipe on poly while the stain was still wet.
I love a checker table top. Can you picture this in a charming beach cottage?

I have enjoyed refinishing dining sets lately. I wish I had taken a before picture so you could see the transformation. It's a lot of work but certainly worth it.

(For more dining room inspiration click HERE.)

Oh, and....

 Do you guys remember that I have been participating in Project Challenge ?
 Each month a few bloggers and I are given a material to use and we get to chose our own project to share using the chosen material. This month we are to create something using either linen or leather.
Here's the exciting part...you get to join in too!
 We will have a linky party so you can share your linen or leather project as well.  It can be a new project or an older post.
Hope to see you here Friday morning (2 days) so you can link up with us!


8 comments :

Jill Flory said...

Love your dining set! and can't wait till Friday!

Leslie Harris said...

The checkerboard pattern is so unique! I love it!

ImSoVintage Laura Walker said...

Holly, that is adorable. Someone will love that in their cottage style home. xo Laura

Kelly said...

That is the cutest table and chair set. It's very unusual looking. I love the color you painted it and how you added the fun checkerboard top.

Michele Alger said...

I can see why you just had to pick that set up. So darling!! Love how you finished them, just the perfect touch!! See you Friday ;)

Junkchiccottage said...

Love this Holly. Great Re Love of this piece. Someone is going to snatch that up.
Kris

Patty Wiles said...

Holly it is darling! Love it!
Patty@thatssopretty

Sally LoveOfHomes said...

I LOVE how this dining set turned out! It is so charming! Have a wonderful weekend!!

You May Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...