May 15, 2015

Design with Vintage Wooden Car Ramps

A couple of weeks ago Richmond, Virginia had a Vintage Home Market. It was amazing to see all the unique items each vendor brought in. 
I don't think I knew or ever thought about vintage car ramps before. Can you imagine having to make something out of wood that would be strong enough to hold up your car?
Yes, somebody did make wooden car ramps. A long time ago too. So I bought the set. (Excuse the mess behind, please)

At first I was thinking they would make a cool fireplace mantel. Then I thought of flanking the bed and adding a cross beam as a shelf - using the ramps sort of like corbels.
Then, I decided to use them in a simple way. They are pretty heavy so hanging them would take some thought and time so while I am un-decorating my house at the moment that didn't make sense. 
The height of the wooden ramp is perfect for layering accents in a corner of a room or, in this case, the porch. 
The weight of it can hold a pretty heavy planter if I wanted it to but I just screwed in a metal garden hook and hung up the old lantern that was in our yard a few houses ago.
This porch is really fun to decorate. I don't sit out here often enough. I had to scrub the white rockers with soap and water to get the thick pollen off of them. =/  Hopefully we don't get any bursts of that stuff showered all over again.

How would you use these Old Wooden Car Ramps?

Hope your weekend goes great! Thanks for reading and do come again! 

12 comments :

Kelly said...

I've never seen those before! I wouldn't have guessed that's what those were. I like how you used it to hang a lantern from. Love your porch!

Little Vintage Cottage said...

Perfection, I wish I could find one now!

Tania

Barbara Jean said...

well just how cute and creative is that. wonder if old metal ones would be as cute. probably not, but might take a look anyway. =)

have a blessed day!
Barb

Connie said...

I absolutely love this. You are so creative and great job of seeing outside the box.

Julie said...

Hi Holly, Yes I have seen wooden car ramps before - the old Garage that I used to get to service my car had some. I think they look absolutely fantastic the way you have displayed them. You are SO clever. Just goes to show, there is potential in anything. Have a great weekend x0x

Rustic Maple Elizabeth said...

I really like the way you have used them. I would have to fight my teen guys to use them. Great conversation pieces wherever you use them. Hope you enjoy your weekend. It is a long weekend here, hooray!

Lynn@FernAvenueBlog said...

Great use of a fun unique find!! We are having major issues with pollen at the moment too :(

Lawanna Brown said...

I think the original owner would be way impressed as we all are. Not surprised how you can turn something of nothing into a great conversation piece. Way to go. love ya, mom

Junkchiccottage said...

Holly,
I love what you did with the ramp on the porch. It looks pretty awesome displayed there. Happy Saturday.
Kris

Susan Homeroad said...

I've never seen vintage car ramps but you made them look fabulous Holly! Great idea! Your deck looks beautiful!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

What a cool piece! I have never seen or heard of wooden car ramps. It looks great on your porch! Such a fun conversation piece!

Katie Mansfield said...

Those are amazing. I love the texture it adds to your porch.

You May Also Like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...